Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
7 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Calculate seismic to signal ratio and peak seismic to noise ratio?

Posted 5 years ago

Dear All, I am a beginner in mathematica. Please, I want to write a mathematica code to calculate seismic-to-noise ratio using the equation:Signal to noise ratio equation

a is the amplitude scaling factor, s is the waveform and n is the noise. I have attempted to write the code as follows:

SNR = 10*Log*(Norm[s[[i]]^2, 2]/Norm[n[[i]]^2, 2], {i, nx})

I will also like to write a code to calculate peak signal to noise ratio using the equation peak signal to noise ratio Pi is the peak value of s in the first equation and sigma is the variance.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Oluseun Sanuade
7 Replies

Thank you Daniel. I wish to calculate SNR for i traces as given by this equation: enter image description here

where ai is the amplitude scaling factor, si is the signal in the trace and ni is the noise. I expect to see arrays of SNR for i traces. I also need a code to calculate PSNR using this equation: enter image description here

where Pi is the peak value of si in the first equation and sigmal is the variance of the noise in the first equation. I attach the material in pdf that shows what I am trying to do. This is what I have so far:

SNR := Table[ 10Log[a[[i]]^2Norm[trs[[i]]^2, 2]/Norm[s[[i]]^2, 2], 10], {i, Length[trs]}];

P := Max[trs[[i]]];

PSNR := 10*Log[(a[[i]]^2 P[[i]]^2)/s^2, 10], {i, Length[trs]}; {SNR[[1]], PSNR[[1]]}

Attachments:

It is very unclear what you are asking. Please edit to add an explicit example of input and a clear description of desired output.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

Thank you John for your help. Please find attached the page of the material for proper understanding of what I intend to do.

Regards

Attachments:
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 5 years ago

i cannot comment on "sigma" seismic-to-noise ratio variance without seeing the material your reading. there would be endless reasonings from which to make such a thing.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 5 years ago

It makes no sense to say P[[i]] if P is the max of s. Perhaps you mean Max[s[[i]]].

P=Max[Table[s[[i]],{i,100}]]; (*no?*)
SNR:=10 Log[a[[i]]^2 Norm[s[[i]]^2, 2]/Norm[n[[i]]^2, 2],10];
P:=Max[s[[i]]];
PSNR:=10 Log[(a[[i]]^2 P[[i]]^2)/sigma^2, 10];
{SNR[[1]],PSNR[[1]]}

Thank you John for your response. I want the P in the second equation to be reading the maximum value of s in the first equation.

Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 5 years ago

I'll try the 2nd eq. only. I assume you want each PSNR[i] calculated and accessible as array.

Do[PSNR[i] := 10 Log[(a[[i]]^2 P[[i]]^2/s^2), 10], {i, 100}]

Usually we do it like this (a List[]):

Table[10 Log[(a[[i]]^2 P[[i]]^2/s^2), 10], {i, 100}]

You could Enter as an input:

10 Log[(a[[i]]^2 P[[i]]^2/s^2), 10]

and Mathematic will have a button appear below it saying "Plot", if you just want to see the plot

I view .nb but i do not view .docx as i don't know what might happen if i open them and they are encrypted. Please share .nb

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract