Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
37 Replies
|
14 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Roadmap to Mathematica 12 on Raspberry Pi?

Posted 5 years ago

Great to see Mathematica 12 released and I can't wait to try the new functionality!

What is the timeline and roadmap to get Mathematica 12 to the Pi? – Thanks!

37 Replies
Posted 3 years ago

To tell you the truth, I don't really know the answers to your questions. Partly, this came about when I tried to avoid the technical issues to focus on Mathematica as a turnkey application. I have quite a background in large systems, minicomputers; most of these with quite detailed internal documentation. The Pi and Mathematica tend to be very different in this regard and it's difficult. Now, let's see what I can do: 1. I don't know Kali, the last I knew Mathematica was only licensed for Raspbian on the Pi. When I tried Raspbian on a PC it didn't have access to Mathematica, due to license restrictions. So, I'd be surprised if you can get it going at all. 2. When I downloaded the 64-bit Raspbian beta from a link several months old, it said Mathematica wasn't available. A Google search later suggested Mathematica would run on the 64-bit OS so I tried the install and it runs. If it isn't 64-bit, at least it can use the RAM on an 8GB Pi and that suits me. 3. Due to the passage of time, I have no idea if it's an armhf or arm64 download. And that seems to be all I can add.

POSTED BY: David Morton
Posted 3 years ago

Hi thanks for answering...

From what I can tell, the license for Mathematica is tied to the Raspberry Pi hardware (see section: Permitted Uses and Installations), not to a particular type of operating system. Of course, what‘s officially supported is a different matter.

Both Raspberry Pi OS and Kali are based on Debian, although Kali has a rolling release policy, so it‘s always considerably more up to date (which is the main reason why I like it, aside from a slicker looking UI, and some nifty network/sysadmin security testing tools).

If you have a 64-bit or 32-bit version of Mathematica is fairly easy to establish, look at the output of this:

$ file /opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/12.1/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/*/*               
/opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/12.1/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux-ARM/ELProver:      ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=e380f960723d748626a08893fa06331715488d51, stripped
/opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/12.1/SystemFiles/Kernel/Binaries/Linux-ARM/WolframKernel: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=c0beadca4282b84bf648e231fd2d1e99c628170d, stripped

My results clearly show 32-bit executables, so even without having access to the install logs or whatever, it‘s pretty easy to see what‘s installed. In case you should have a newer version of Mathematica, like e.g. some sort of 12.2 beta or something, the path would differ in easily discoverable ways.

Being a 32-bit executable aside, Mathematica works just fine after jumping through the hoops described here Installing Mathematica under 64-bit Kali Linux on a Raspberry Pi Haven’t been able to test how much memory it can access, though...

POSTED BY: Ronald Antony
Posted 3 years ago

After my last post, I had a couple of ideas; both indicated it's armhf. I dug up a Pi out and set it up to check, (my PC and Pi4 share the same 4k screen, making it fiddly). The first was to try installing it, the second was to check the the System Information panels inside Mathematica. I've put a fair bit of effort into doing accurate tests of Mathematica limits on the Pi through a couple of notebooks. While I think there are other posts on this, in short Mathematica is mostly memory bound on a Pi. If you try and create a list that is too long it either fails with an out of memory error, or never responds. My tests have been on every Pi I have (Zero, original 2B, 3B+ and all 4 sizes of 4B), the more hardware memory you have the more primes you an get. I'll try and post the notebook up here over the weekend, it has the results I achieved in it. And I've run it on multiple cores, including assorted small clusters. I don't use parallel processing anymore, the overheads have too much impact.

Posted 3 years ago

It's already available if you meet the prerequisite. Just run "sudo apt install wolfram-engine' The prerequisite is that you have a 64-bit version of Raspberry Pi OS, and there is a link to the beta of that. I won't go into the details of getting the OS beta as a quick Google search should take you to it on the Foundation web site. Mathematica is why I got in the PI initially, so I do keep up to date. I've been playing with creating lists of Prime numbers and it does significantly increase the number of primes. On a 4gb Pi 4, you can get a slightly larger list than with the 32-bit OS; but you won't really get much benefit unless you have an 8GB Pi. Good luck, and have fun!

Posted 3 years ago

Thanks for the info, that's great! I got the armhf version working under a 64-bit OS install, by using the install script available from wolfram. Since I'm running Kali, and not Raspian, the apt install wolfram-engine won't work for me, I'll need to find a way to actually download the .deb file similar to the way the install script found at https://wolfr.am/wolfram-engine-raspi-install does.

Also, the install script installs two parts, wolfram-engine and wolframscript, I assume they are both 64-bit, otherwise it's still a mixed 32-bit/64-bit installation, which is somewhat less efficient when it comes to shared libraries being loaded twice into memory, once in a 32-bit and once in a 64-bit version. I guess I'll need to dig for the download URLs of these arm64 deb packages, unless someone here has them handy.

Posted 3 years ago

Sorry to bug you again: are you sure you’re actually talking about an arm64 version of Mathematica, and not about an armhf version that’s capable of running on a 64-kernel 64/32-bit Userland Linux?

The reason I ask, when I go to

http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/w/wolfram-engine/

all I can find are armhf packages. Same if I go to

http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/w/wolframscript/

There’s nowhere an arm64 package of these to be seen. Am I missing something?

Posted 3 years ago

Any plans to make an arm64 version of Mathematica for the RasPi? Or will that have to wait for Mathematica 13?

Posted 4 years ago

Three options: 1. Raspberry menu, choose "Options" then "Recommended software". Scroll down to Mathematica, tick the box and click "OK,." This is the EASIEST.

1. As you tried in Add-Remove programs, but search for "wolfram." Almost as easy, unless you misspell wolfram.

2. In a terminal window type in "sudo apt -y wolfram-engine." This can be a little quicker to get going, as you don't have to wait for the GUI to search.

By the way, I've been playing with Mathematica on everything from a Pi Zero to a 4GB Pi 4. It's very demanding on hardware and I don't recommend anything less than the 4GB Pi 4.

Menu option: Raspberry Pi (top left icon) > Preferences > Add / Remove software. There I searched for mathematica and wolfram but only found "installer for Mathematica fonts".

POSTED BY: Pierre Albarede
Posted 5 years ago

I just ran on a Buster card: sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine and it worked flawlessly. There is also a menu option (I forget precisely where) to install recommended software and it will install Mathematica. I did have timeouts with downloads of the Buster image, so it must be popular, and with some updates. I've spent much of the past few days experimenting with Jessie (Mathematica 10), Stretch (Mathematica 11) and Buster (Mathematica 12).

Today I managed to install Mathematica 12 on Raspberry Pi 3B+ with Raspbian Buster. Thanks.

I used the installation script provided here https://www.wolfram.com/raspberry-pi/ and

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get dist-upgrade sudo apt --fix-broken install.

There were some errors but eventually it worked.

POSTED BY: Pierre Albarede

Just got a Raspberry Pi and I'm looking forward to trying Mathematica on it :)

POSTED BY: Scott G Fischer
Posted 5 years ago

It's a bit of an aside, but has anyone run the Mathematica internal benchmark on a 4GB Pi4 yet? I need to figure out if the is enough change to upgrade from a 3B+ when they ship here in about 10 days.

Most of the individual WolframMark components are about twice as fast.

Other programs and the OS also feel more responsive, I plan to upgrade my personal system.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski

This example seems to work fine in the 12.0 builds currently under testing.

That's great! Thank you. My girlfriend is an atmospheric chemist and we are working on automated gathering of time-series data on the concentrations of various gasses in the air using the Raspberry Pi + Mathematica.

POSTED BY: Nicholas Brunk

Database interfacing (at least with some databases) does not work on the Raspberry Pi in Mathematica 11.3. After entering the following commands on the Pi, an error occurs:

Needs["DatabaseLink`"];
JDBCDrivers["SQLite"]

conn = OpenSQLConnection[JDBC["SQLite", "/path/to/database.db"]];

The error returned is cryptic:

JDBC::error: org.sqlite.core.NativeDB._open(Ljava/lang/String;I)V

Please see this Stack Exchange answer and the comments on it.

As many microcontrollers are used for passive purposes such as data collection, it is worth allowing them to interface readily with databases.

POSTED BY: Nicholas Brunk

P.S.: It would be great if you could also look into the dependency libcurl3, which will no longer be available in Debian Buster.

Yes, this and a couple of other dependencies will be ironed out for Buster compatibility.

Terrific, thank you!

Hopefully soon -- that is to say, in weeks rather than months.

Dear Ilian, Any news here, maybe anything to test for us? Thanks! Michael

As mentioned at

https://twitter.com/WolframResearch/status/1143199129734193154

Mathematica 12 should be available in the coming days.

Currently the release candidate builds are undergoing final QA testing to make sure they work well on the just released Raspberry Pi 4, as well as on Raspbian Buster.

I have a Raspberry Pi 1 B with Stretch and I do not see the update.

Does M12 require Buster?

Does it require more recent Raspberry Pi hardware?

Is there a page listing system requirement?

(I assume it just needs Buster but could you please confirm before I go ahead and upgrade?)

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát

Did you run the install script mentioned?

Did you run the install script mentioned?

The install script downloads the package from a separate source (not the official Raspbian repos). Is it the case that the Raspbian repos simply do not yet carry M12.0?

That aside, I would still like to know the answer to the questions above regarding compatibility (preferably without having to try to install M12.0, then revert again to M11.3).

The reason why I want to stay with 11.3 until 12.0 are in the Raspbian repositories: I publish a package with binary components that also includes RPi support. Binaries built with 12.0 will not work with 11.3, but those built with 11.3 work fine with 12.0. I am reluctant to require 12.0 until it becomes simple enough for everyone to install it with a simple apt install.

Posted 5 years ago

I've spent much of the last few days exploring Mathematica on the PI, using archived versions of Jessie, Stretch, and the new Buster. I was looking at benchmarks across my 3Pis and versions. I learned Jessie runs Mathematica 10, Stretch runs Mathematica 11 & Buster runs Mathematica 12. I'm surprised at the trouble people are having, after burning a Buster card I just ran sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine and it worked without a hitch.

Posted 5 years ago

OK, Mathematica 12 runs on Buster, Stretch runs Mathematica 11 and Jessie ran Mathematica 10. From what I've seen those are fixed and you can't run Mathematica 12 on Stretch. I've been playing with a few things in Mathematica, of relevance to you is my experiments with its internal benchmark. I have a Pi3b+, a Pi2B (v1.1) and some Zero Ws. Buster and Stretch run on all of them, Jessie will not run on the 3B+. The Pi4 is advertised as NOT running an OS earlier than Buster. And, I have hit snags with Mathematica on a PiZero, so suggest any other lower-end Pi may also struggle. I hope this helps.

V12 does run on Stretch and does not have any particular hardware requirements (of course, it may feel nicer to use on a faster device)

For now, you can download and install the two packages manually

wolframscript_1.3.0+2019062801_armhf.deb

wolfram-engine_12.0.1+2019062401_armhf.deb

or use the installation script from https://www.wolfram.com/raspberry-pi/

I will check into making this available through the apt repository for Stretch. (EDIT: Now available)

Thanks David and Ilian. This answers my question.

Posted 5 years ago

Thanks Ilian, I'm content to just leave each version of Raspbian with the Mathematica that comes with it. I got my first Pi for Mathematica and told myself I wasn't going to lose focus by hacking around. I had PCs and proprietary minicomputers to do that on during my career, it's time for fun again. As for speed, yes it is nice to have faster Pis, some of my code has run for a few days with a result. keeping power up has proven a challenge in rural Australia. Since mid-2017, I've run the Wolfram Mark on my collection and the 2B (v1.1) started with a result of 0.01 on Jessie and is now 6 times that on Stretch and Buster, so the code has improved in speed over time. Also, these numbers are constant as I've moved from class 4 to class 10 and UHS-1 cards, so it isn't an obvious IO bound task. The 3B+ enjoys speeds of .12 or .13, and elsewhere I've learned that the 4B with 4G should be about twice that. I won;\'t be able to get one before late August though, the backlog is so long I can't even place an order.

Thank you and the whole Wolfram Research team for making Mathematica available on the Raspberry Pi platform. It is very helpful.

I am trying to offload some slow database-intensive processing so as not to tie up my laptop and just tried using DatabaseReference on the Raspberry Pi Mathematica version 12.03.01.00. The command "DatabaseReference["file.db"]" is not known to it. I see now that it is an experimental function.

Are all the experimental functions like this similarly disabled? Should I look forward to a version 13 to fill in these functions? Soon?

Thank you in advance for any guidance you can provide. Steve

POSTED BY: Stephen Wilkus
Posted 2 years ago

I can't help with your technical requests, just something general. I believe you can get Mathematica 13 on the raspberry Pi using the newest Pi OS (Bullseye). I had a play with Bullseye in January, however I went back to Buster fairly quickly. This had NOTHING to do with Mathematica, which was fine. I have put my opinion of Bullseye online in a more appropriate place, in short I thought it didn't just miss the target, it missed the barn. I presume it will improve in time, I just don't use premature software when I have a job to do

Posted 2 years ago

Are you sure Mathematica 13 is out for Raspberry? All the download links I can find lead to 12.3.1, not to 13.x.y

Any hints welcome!

Posted 2 years ago

Honestly, I'm not certain. I installed the full desktop image of Bullseye, and it had Mathematica and I thought it downloaded an upgrade to Mathematica 13. A lot of other OS images do not have Mathematica, and Buster only has Mathematica 12.something. I abandoned Bullseye after a couple of weeks so I can't check for you, sorry. Since then, I've been swamped so I may be wrong. The MagPi magazines may help (https://magpi.raspberrypi.com/issues), try 113 for starters.

Posted 2 years ago

I was wrong, and spent about 3 hours last night proving it. Buster has Mathematica V12.3, Bullseye 12.3. Doubt crept into my mind about what versions of Mathematica appeared where, so I went through the slow process of building a Bullseye card on a Pi Zero 2 to check. After burning the image onto a card, booting the Pi and setting location, I skipped the updates and opened Mathematica, it was 12.2. Then I let it update (1.4 GB) and rebooted to find Mathematica 12.3, and for those who care I think it was arm-hf. As a reminder, I only got into the Raspberry Pi for Mathematica and try to ignore all the details that used to be such a delight on other systems. This usually works for me, as I've built Mathematica clusters with the Pi, but I also seriously stumble a lot with the complexities of an application like Mathematica.

v.13 is available now on the repositories.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract