Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
9 Replies
|
20 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Version 12.1 notebook performance issues with e.g. Datasets on Windows?

Posted 4 years ago

Are users of version 12.1 experiencing performance issues with the Notebook front-end in general and Datasets in particular?

My last notebook created in version 12 worked well with a small Dataset, but in 12.1 scrolling the notebook is slow (seconds on an Intel i7 with 16 GB) and scrolling a Dataset nearly impossible.

I use Windows 10 Pro version 1909, 64-bit.

It has been reported in StackExchange , but haven't seen any post here confirming the issue.

As I use a Dataset a lot, I went back to version 12. All is performing well again.

Cheers,

Dave

POSTED BY: Dave Middleton
9 Replies

I do not know whether this is pure imagination - I have no values on prior performance - but I do have the strong impression that in the meantime Dataset[] has greatly improved! Could that be?

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner

According to this MSE response there was a set of improvements in a paclet release.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 4 years ago

Hi Daniel,

TypeSystem paclet version 12.1.0.2 did improve Dataset performance for the datasets I am working with, especially rendering. However, it did introduce this bug.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

I believe there was confirmation in the MSE chat. To the best of my knowledge the UI issues with Dataset are the top priority for improving in the near term.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

I believe there was confirmation in the MSE chat. ...

... well, at least we finally now see some (positive!) reaction from WRI! Thank you!

I can confirm that this is happening on my Mac as well.

POSTED BY: John Shonder
In[69]:= $Version
Out[69]= "12.1.0 for Linux x86 (64-bit) (March 14, 2020)"

Yes - incredible but true: If one let simply e.g.

ResourceData[ResourceObject["Epidemic Data for Novel Coronavirus COVID-19"]]

pop up in a notebook one virtually can no longer work with this Mathematica session - and this data set is just of moderate size. Everything is then drastically slowed down - even the window showing the Documentation Center! The slightest interaction makes the CPU busy for many seconds. At the moment I would qualify Dataset simply as unusable and I am puzzled how a function like this can be released! Hopefully this will be fixed soon - please!

Additional note:

I do not want to switch back to v12.0 because for this version I had reported a problem regarding Dicom import - and this is actually fixed in 12.1. Thus for me this is definitely an improvement and it would not be fair not to mention this.

Posted 4 years ago

I can confirm on my PC running Win 10 Home.

I think this needs to be fixed ASAP. It's disappointing when something like this gets released.

POSTED BY: David G

I try to have some empathy with new releases as I know the pain they can be. However, sometimes it seems there's just no Q&A. This literally makes Dataset unusable for time series data. How could this slip past Q&A? I can confirm it happens in both Mac and Windows.

POSTED BY: Lombardo Paredes
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract