|
2 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Import .KDC files?

Posted 4 years ago

.KDC files were generated by Kodak digital cameras back in the last millennium.

Mathematica documentation says that that file format is supported by RAW but when I try and import one I get a failed "Cannot import data as RAW format"

Thanks for any info.

POSTED BY: trinko
2 Replies
Posted 4 years ago

Thanks but first all the software for my camera's was on a Mac not a PC.

Second here's what the Mathematica documentation says:

Raw (.raw, .arw, .crw, .nef, .nrw, .dng, ...) Import supports raw images stored in a file with any of the following extensions: .bay, .bmq, .cr2, .crw, .cs1, .dc2, .dcr, .dng, .erf, .fff, .hdr, .k25, .kdc, .mdc, .mos, .mrw, .nef, .orf, .pef, .pxn, .raf, .raw, .rdc, .sr2, .srf, .x3f, .arw, .3fr, .cine, .ia, .kc2, .mef, .nrw, .qtk, .rw2, .sti, .rwl.

So according to the documentation the Raw format and the Import command in Mathematica says that .kdc is supported.

When you say tell us are you working for Mathematica? If so is the documentation for Raw/Import wrong--in which case you should fix it--or has the capability been lost at some point during Mathematica revisions without that being noticed?

POSTED BY: trinko
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 4 years ago

You should contact Kodak Community group (or use free imaging software to look at the image information in the image header) and tell us what format the .KDC is in (RAW is unlikely). Likely the camera came with Microsoft software and may have exported the images in a Micrsoft-only owned format or perhaps jpeg "option export type" as well (JPEG was not supported on Windows until recently). KDC might be a custom format - or it might be transportable to another format: for that you really need to investigate more. Why is because there would be multiple custom formats (KDC 1? KDC 2.3? ) and that is where asking Mathematica Community for advice isn't really appropriate. Once you know what the format is "for sure", then maybe the question can be answered.

My guess is you will find the Microsoft software that came with the camera and export it to a "more recent" format, which Mathematica will support easily. It may be a problem that "Windows is now 64bit and old drivers do not work". However the old software should still work and be able to export your files: that is one thing Micrsoft, in my opinion, has done very well. Companies like Kodac (in my past experience) usually do not delete old software. However - current trends do not favor that they have preserved "old versions" - and that could be a problem.

For Import RAW you need to specify options (the image size, colors, other), since raw images require this to display but do not contain any embedded information. I doubt your pictures are in RAW format though. But I don't know.

from google (not a great source of correct information) "File Format Information: Kodak Raw (Kodak Camera Raw Image), Kodak digital cameras enable users to capture RAW format, such as DCR, K25 and KDC, these RAW formats are based on the TIFF file format. "

This says you must have enabled RAW before the pictures were taken. However it is suspicious - real RAW has no headers, but this claims to be a subset of TIFF. TIFF is a proprietary format that "wraps other company's formats" which some company had tried to promote as a standard wrapper. (but that is far from RAW, you see, which is raw and not wrapped in anything)

So, you might try TIFF. Otherwise, you should really contact Kodak and or use the software that came with your camera.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract