Message Boards Message Boards

Dracula Theme for Wolfram Notebooks

Posted 4 years ago

example-screenshot

This theme is my go-to for dark mode, and I use it across several applications. So, I implemented the Dracula theme for Wolfram Notebooks!

If you're interested in using it, you can get it from two places:

GitHub repo

Get the files

If you are a git user, you can get the theme and keep up to date by cloning the repo:

$ git clone https://github.com/jldohmann/wolfram-notebooks.git

Install the stylesheet

1. The stylesheet is titled "Dracula.nb". Move the stylesheet to folder where your Wolfram Desktop application is installed, and into SystemFiles. Run this code to open the folder:

SystemOpen[FileNameJoin[{$UserBaseDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd", "StyleSheets"}]]

You may need to restart your application to see the changes take effect.

1. Open a new notebook, and from the menu go to Format > Stylesheet > Dracula to change the stylesheet to the Dracula theme.

Please feel free to file issues for suggestions or bugs!

Function Repository

1. Get the DraculaTheme Resource
  2. Install the stylesheet system-wide with the following:

ResourceFunction["DraculaTheme"]["Install"]

POSTED BY: Jesse Dohmann
16 Replies

The resource function DraculaTheme is referenced in the paclet "OpenAIMode".

POSTED BY: Anton Antonov
Posted 2 years ago

Hello, I made another dark theme after seeing your amazing Dracula theme!

Darcula Theme

Darcula theme notebook gif

Darcula is the default dark theme for JetBrains IDEs. It is characterized by soft, well-contrasting colors on a dark gray background. It is by far one of my favorite IDE themes.

Huge thanks to Jesse Dohmann for sharing her Dracula theme for Wolfram notebooks. It really opened my eyes to what is possible with themes, and I copied from her notebook to get past some tricky problems I ran into.

How to get the theme

You can download the Darcula.nb stylesheet notebook from my GitHub. When you open the Darcula.nb notebook, you will see some installation instructions:

darcula install instructions img

POSTED BY: Alec Graves
Posted 2 years ago

Alec this is really awesome! Thanks for sharing, and I'm glad my stylesheet was helpful in reducing headaches.

Posted 1 year ago

This doesn't work with WolframAlpha Notebook Edition, there is no stylesheet menu. Any suggestions?

POSTED BY: J. Karttunen

Jesse,

I like the Stylesheet. Nice post. One problem is the Axes on plots become invisible. You may want to change the default TickStyle.

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Posted 3 years ago

Hi, Neil. Thanks for finding this, I'll put it on my list for changes for next release.

Hi, just wanted to follow up in case there is a nice solution for the plots.

POSTED BY: Roi Holtzman
Posted 3 years ago

Hey! Thank you for this stylesheet. I am a beginner here, so I would be grateful if you helped me out. Whenever I open Mathematica, it always loads with the default white theme. How do I make Dracula the default stylesheet?

POSTED BY: Hardik Medhi
Posted 3 years ago

Hi Hardik, great question! You can set it as a default stylesheet for your application using CurrentValue[$FrontEnd, DefaultStyleDefinitions] = "path/to/Dracula.nb" Then, the next time you open a notebook, it will have the Dracula styling. If you ever want to change this back, you can always reset the CurrentValue back to "Default.nb".

Posted 3 years ago

Thank you for your reply! This method works. Would you also please guide me on how do I increase the default font size?

Posted 3 years ago

Hi, Hardik. You can do this in a couple of ways. Probably the easiest to increase all the text is to change the magnification of the notebook. You can also directly change the text size by altering the style.

Since you're new, it might be a good idea to browse around the documentation center. There are tons of workflows that I've written which would be very useful to you!

Posted 3 years ago

I will check them out. Thank you for your help!

Posted 3 years ago

You can now find this theme implementation on the official Dracula website: https://draculatheme.com/wolfram-notebooks

The GitHub repo has moved under the Dracula organization (though I still maintain it): https://github.com/dracula/wolfram-notebooks

Posted 3 years ago

Oh, it doesn't have custom stylesheets...that makes sense. I don't think I put the file extension on it either, that would probably screw it up too. Regardless, thanks for the reply back, I do appreciate it.

POSTED BY: Jimmy C.
Posted 3 years ago

Beginner here. :) I am using the Function Repository to do this.

I placed the Theme in the C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Wolfram Alpha Notebook Edition\12.1\SystemFiles\FrontEnd\StyleSheets

I get the following error when issuing the command, ResourceFunction["DraculaTheme"]["Install"]

No Wolfram Language translation found.

Also,

FileExistsQ[
 FileNameJoin[{$UserBaseDirectory, "SystemFiles", "FrontEnd", "StyleSheets", "DraculaTheme.nb"}]]

gives me False, even though it's in there.

This is my first day using notebook so I am totally unfamiliar with everything...haha...so I know I'm missing a step or several....but if I could get this stylesheet installed, having a dark mode or theme would make learning notebook much more pleasurable.

POSTED BY: Jimmy C.
Posted 3 years ago

Hi, J.R. and welcome!

gives me False, even though it's in there.

So you are looking for DraculaTheme.nb, instead of Dracula.nb which is the name of the file. If you change that, it will return True.

However, the bigger issue is that you are using Wolfram | Alpha Notebook Edition instead of Mathematica or Wolfram Desktop. These are separate products, and to my knowledge W|A Notebook Edition does not support the use of custom stylesheets.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract