Message Boards Message Boards

Understanding Aggregate COVID Curves

Posted 3 years ago

MODERATOR NOTE: coronavirus resources & updates: https://wolfr.am/coronavirus

5 Replies

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here

Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Very nice deep dive into the data!

I find it very curious that many of the national curves have very sharp, flat-topped "peaks" of about a week's duration. Do you know of an explanation for this feature? I suspect that they are reporting errors, and it would be useful to know their origin and appropriate data-cleaning techniques.

I've been using ColorData for many years, and learned something new about it today: one can get the colors reversed directly with

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}][#]&
POSTED BY: Robert Nachbar

Yes, I assume those plateaus are reporting errors of some kind. There are also some negative ones, which are even more suspect.

About the ColorFunction, you also might think that

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}][#]&

is equivalent to

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}]

but GeoRegionValuePlot will bin the data if you use the second, but not if you use the first. I think it is much more useful to look at the unbinned data, so I often wrote this weird ColorData[...][#]& construct. I believe there is going to be an option to get around this in a future version.

Isn't that really a bug though? those should be equivalent no?

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}][#]&[0.3]

would evaluate to:

ColorData[{"RedBlueTones","Reversed"}][0.3]

so then, they are the same?

Unless ColorData[…] is recognized in some special way of course…

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

If the ColorFunction is of the form ColorData[...] it processes it differently from generalized functions. They are equivalent in general, but GeoRegionValuePlot treats them differently.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract