Message Boards Message Boards

VideoCombine error in WL 12.2?

Posted 3 years ago

In Wolfram Language 12.2, several examples in the Documentation for VideoCombine fail with "VideoCombine: An internal error occurred: cannot mix video encoders from different backends."

For example, try the very 1st example under Basic Examples:

m = Video[Manipulate[Plot[Sin[x (1 + a x)], {x, 0, 6}], {a, 0, 2}]]
VideoCombine[{m, ExampleData[{"Audio", "PianoScale"}]}]

Error Message

Should this be expected? Is there a fix? Operator error?

POSTED BY: David G
9 Replies

Great tutorial here for installing FFmpeg on Windows 10

How to install FFmpeg on Windows 10
https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/2177967

POSTED BY: Ahmed Elbanna
Posted 3 years ago

I have this same problem on my iMac Pro running Big Sur. I have always used MacPorts, not Homebrew, and I already have FFmpeg installed. FFmpeg on my machine is in directory /opt/local/bin and this directory is listed when I do PATH from terminal on the Mac. Mathematica 12.2 seems unable to find my copy of FFmpeg and I get the message about a "lite" version of FFmpeg being used when I try to run VideoCombine. I tried adding /opt/local/bin to Mathematica's $Path list, but this did not resolve the problem.

I don't want to install FFmpeg with Homebrew as I understand that it is well documented that MacPorts and Homebrew do not play well together on the same machine. I have too many other applications working just fine with MacPorts to switch to Homebrew at this time. How can I get my MacPorts version of FFmpeg to work with VideoCombine? Is there some alternative to the Homebrew version of FFmpeg which I could install to make VideoCombine work correctly?

POSTED BY: John Snyder

The same problem occurs to me except on Windows 10. I have put the FFmpeg installation at the top of my OS %PATH%, as well as the Wolfram $Path, however I still get False for FFmpegTools\$SystemFFmpegQ`.

POSTED BY: Tci Fang

I had the same issue in my Mac. It was solved installing ffmpag.

POSTED BY: Rodrigo Murta
Posted 3 years ago

Good to know. Thanks.

POSTED BY: David G

This will be fixed if you install ffmpeg on your machine: https://reference.wolfram.com/language/tutorial/ImportingAndExportingVideo.html#1156435029

We have obviously missed this bug during our 12.2 docs testing, otherwise it wouldn't have been the first example of the ref page. We will try to get this bug fixed in a paclet update or update the example.

POSTED BY: Shadi Ashnai
Posted 3 years ago

I'm sorry to say that I find this weak. The workaround of the manual installation of the ffmpeg is not to be expected of a user of the premium product Mathematica.

POSTED BY: Robert Franke

I don't disagree, Robert. However, 1) our Video functionality is still marked as "Experimental". We are still trying to better optimize such workflows and automatic installation of FFmpeg at least on some platforms is under development. 2) one of the main reasons why Mathematica is not shipped with a full version of FFmpeg is because several video codecs are patented and dealing with those patents is a rather large project on its own. We may as well go for that fight at some point, but it's not today's task.

POSTED BY: Shadi Ashnai
Posted 3 years ago

Works fine on "12.2.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (December 12, 2020)"

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract