Message Boards Message Boards

Publication images using only Wolfram Language

SUPPLEMENTARY WOLFRAM MATERIALS for ARTICLE:

Froeling, M, Prompers, JJ, Klomp, DWJ, van der Velden, TA.

PCA denoising and Wiener deconvolution of 31P 3D CSI data to enhance effective SNR and improve point spread function.

Magn Reson Med. 2021; 00: 1– 18. https://doi.org/10.1002/mrm.28654

For my latest publication, I decided to generate all my images purely based on 100% Mathematica code. Images are based on real data and simulations (all processed in Mathematica as well). The figure used are directly saved from Mathematica and not touched by any other program.

Not sure if it saved time in the end. But as in any publication you have to remake the images many times, changing data or layout. That at least was easy once I had all the code for the images remaking them was very easy and fast. Making them in the first place... not so much. But I learned a lot of new tricks. And in the spirit of open science, I was able to upload my notebooks for data processing and the figure generations as supplemental files.

Regrettably in my field of research only very few people use Mathematica (mostly Matlab, and increasingly more python). But it never hold me back (mostly because porting it all to python would be to much work ;).

PCA denoising

Complex deconvolution

Simulations

Simulation results

Deconvolution simulation

Data results

Spectra fitting

Data fitting metabolite maps

Thought you all might like to see it.

POSTED BY: Martijn Froeling
4 Replies

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Posted 3 years ago

Very Nice!

But, I would like to point out something: Suppose you want to include these plots in an article you are working on, with text written in TeX. Then exporting the Mathematica graphics to pdf and including them in your TeX file works fine, up until the point of text label size compared with your text produced by LaTeX.

TikZ, on the other hand, takes care of this issue, since it is a bunch of TeX macros (whereas it is probably more difficult to learn).

Mathematica graphics abilities are impressive indeed. It is a brilliant tool that I am very fond of, and if you "have to remake the images many times, changing data or layout", then Mathematica is the thing to work with. But as I see it, up until the point of text size.

I recently, when working on my Physics M Sc thesis, found my self changing the Axes labels and ticks text size from 14 to 16 to 17 and then to 18 points, which in turn depend on the ImageSize option, just so it looks better in the pdf output.

So as I see it, the best way is to analyze your data in the Mathematica environment, and the create a similar figure with that data in TikZ.

POSTED BY: Ehud Behar

Great post and a good source of inspiration for graphics representations! Thanks for sharing. Deserves a Staff Pictk in my opinion.

POSTED BY: Christian Neel

Really nice! And a lot of work!

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract