|
4 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Installing package?

Posted 3 years ago

I'm utterly new to Mathematica (which came already installed on my new Raspberry Pi 400), but want to install a package (.m file) I've downloaded from elsewhere. I find multiple places online which seem to say to use file -> install ...

In the Mathematica menu under 'palettes' I see an 'install palette' and that seems to work just fine -- I can install a .nb file. But under 'file' I see no 'install' -- nor do I see anything else that seems to be how to install a .m file.

Any insights would be appreciated...

POSTED BY: Doug Jarratt
4 Replies
Posted 3 years ago

I see, you're on Raspberry Pi?

This is what I would do, forget about the UI in this case.

• Evaluate $UserBaseDirectory in your notebook.
  • Using you favorite command-line or file management tool(s), place the desired .m file in the Kernel directory that should exist under $UserBaseDirectory.

Then Get (and FindFile) should see your .m file.

This is essentially what I expect that File > Install... does.

POSTED BY: Joel Klein
Posted 3 years ago

When you see something like "file -> install..." (I usually write it as File > Install...) it's exact instructions to follow menus, starting from the left. So start with the File menu, and under there you see an "Install..." option. (The ... indicates the menu item brings up a dialog). These are all generally accepted conventions for documenting use of a GUI.

POSTED BY: Joel Klein
Posted 3 years ago

Thanks Joel -- but starting from the left and under the File menu is where I do not see an "Install..." option. Under Palettes there is an "Install Palette...", but no "Install..." under File. I would attach a screen shot, but the Raspberry Pi 400 PrtScn key does not take a screenshot while the pull down is open. However after searching around a bit under the Raspberry Pi group where I entered my question I did find an earlier and similar question, to which someone answered that one should just put the .m file into the FileNameJoin[{$UserBaseDirectory, "Applications"}].directory. I did that and it does seem to do the trick -- at least I can Needs[] the file now (though I'm not sure everything about it is working and I'm not sure if there might be additional things I need to do).

Anyway thanks much for replying...

Posted 3 years ago

Maybe I should add that "About Mahematica" shows:

Version Number: 12.1.1.0
Platform: Linux ARM (32-bit)
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract