|
8 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Dynamic locator with a complex number

Posted 2 years ago

In the reference page for the Locator function, 2nd basic example, I found this:

DynamicModule[{p = {0.5, 0.5}}, {Graphics[Locator[Dynamic[p]], PlotRange -> 2], Dynamic[p]}]

I tried to replicate this command for complex number p, in two ways, but for no success:

DynamicModule[{p = 0.5 + I 0.5},
 {
  Graphics[{Locator[Dynamic[ReIm[p]]], Circle[]}, PlotRange -> 2]
  , Dynamic[p]}]

and

DynamicModule[{p = 
   0.5 + I 0.5}, {ComplexListPlot[{Locator[Dynamic[p]], Circle[]}, 
   PlotRange -> 2], Dynamic[p]}]

My objective is to do some complex algebra manipulations on the point p, and therefore I want to present it as a complex number in the first place. I know I can do the algebra on p[[1]] + I p[[2]] but I would like to check for the option of assigning to p a complex number.

POSTED BY: Ehud Behar
8 Replies
Posted 2 years ago

Murray Eisenberg and Rohit Namjoshi, Thanks a lot for all of your comments.

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Ehud,

Do you mean something like this?

DynamicModule[{p = {0.5, 0.5}}, {Graphics[Locator[Dynamic[p]], PlotRange -> 2], 
  Dynamic[Complex[Sequence @@ p]]}]

BTW, was my answer to your earlier question helpful?

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

That's nice!

It seems to me there ought to be a built-in function, say ToComplex, that does what Complex[Sequence @@ #]& does. This would be an inverse to the built-in function ReIm.

This just seems such a basic thing to have. Something that even beginners could make sense of, as opposed to Sequence @@ p, that is, Apply[Sequence, p], which involve two non-elementary programming constructs, Apply and Sequence.

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
Posted 2 years ago

I looked up the net and the documentation and couldn't find a built in function to this type of conversion. I would be glad to get to know a simple way for doing it.

Posted 2 years ago

Hi Murray,

I was being dumb, easier way

Complex @@ {0.5, 0.5}
(* 0.5 + 0.5 I *)

toComplex = Complex @@ # &

toComplex[{0.5, 0.5}]
toComplex@{0.5, 0.5}
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Perhaps better to overload like this:

toComplex[xy_] := Complex @@ xy
toComplex[x_, y_] := Complex[x, y]

Then one can do, for example, both the following...

toComplex[{3, 4}]
toComplex[3, 4]

... and get the same result.

Posted 2 years ago

So is it correct to say that one should avoid complex numers inside Dynamic? Because that the Locator acts on a point on the canvas (which is not the nature of a complex number represented as a point)?

And yes, your answer for my previous question was great. Please forgive me for not answering or replying.

Ehud, Alas, the Mathematica developers, including Stephen Wolfram, have never really come to grips with complex numbers as basic objects to use in Graphics — even though Complex is not only a built-in type and even though by default many functions assume their arguments are complex rather than real.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract