Message Boards Message Boards

Fractal market analysis

Posted 2 years ago

POSTED BY: Robert Rimmer
9 Replies
Posted 1 year ago

If you are interested in long cycles and crashes, then it is perfectly adequate to use readily available daily data in the same way. In general, the North American markets are the least volatile, followed by European markets, with larger countries being less volatile than smaller countries. Asian markets tend to be the most volatile.

Posted 1 year ago

It's interesting to see how the SPY ETF, which represents a significant portion of the US stock market, can be used to measure market trends and volatility. It would be even more useful to have a longer database available for analysis, perhaps going back to 2000, to include multiple market crashes for comparison. I am from Finland and am more insightful about that market. In fact, comparing the performance of Helsinki stock exchange the to that of the US market could provide useful insights and potentially even opportunities. It's also worth noting that Helsinki's stock market, while smaller in size, has seen its own share of ups and downs over the years and could potentially be analyzed in a similar manner. Have you had a chance to follow any other country indices?

POSTED BY: Buzz Kit

Thank you for the information.

My project involves adverse event reporting of medical devices. I’m looking to determine if there is any fractal information in the data. I don’t know of any analysis of this type. However, the data is a time series with monthly reports, so the stock market methods may provide a useful approach.

POSTED BY: Dan O'Leary
Posted 1 year ago

I practiced cardiology for forty years and would expect failure of medical devices to be a memory-less process with numbers of events over fixed intervals to have exponential tails. If you can show that this is not true with a quantile plot of your tail data versus the ExponentialDistribution[1], and if there is a good linear relationship in the quantile plot the Log[tail data] to the ExponentialDistribution[1], that would be evidence for power tail scaling which might indicate a fractal process.

Nice post Robert, thanks for sharing! I think any user and you can submit to the Wolfram Data Repository. I agree it would be nice to have those data there. Have you ever tried the submission process? And do I understand correctly that the importance of this data is minute time scale, that FinancialData do not have?

POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie
Posted 2 years ago

Yes, this is minute data, which comes from the Schawb StreetSmart trading application. It allows download of six days of data, which I have been doing every Saturday for the past 14 months, and updating the data base. The data seems to be of very good quality. Unfortunately I didn't start before the COVID crash. If you have academic connections you may know somebody who has access to WRDS. Unfortunately they won't share with mere mortals. The problem with the minute data is that trading causes high volumes in the morning and at the close, so sampling over represents the lightest trading with lowest volatility. I have some transaction by transaction data which I plan to post in a few days, when I get it ready, which will show a power tail exponent of about 3.0 which is more in line with the final daily output of the SPY. The tick data are very difficult to work with because most of the sequential prices show no change, nevertheless it is the tick data that we really need in the Wolfram Data Repository for any serious research..

I’m starting to work on understanding “Scaling in the Norwegian Stock Market” by Skjeltorp Physica A283 (2000) 496-582. This paper applies chaos theory and fractal analysis to a stock market.

Are you familiar with this paper? If so, can you describe how your algorithm might apply in an analysis such as this?

POSTED BY: Dan O'Leary
Posted 1 year ago

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract