|
|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Mathematica 10.0 doesn't open (Mavericks os 10.9.4) - what's wrong?

Posted 9 years ago

Dear Community, Suddenly this morning Mathematica (version 10.0.1) failed to open on my computer (Mac, os 10.9.4). There have been no changes to the system since I used the software most recently last night. The software tries to open (the icon bounces up and down) and the mathematica toolbar appears, but nothing ever happens beyond that. I tried the following without success: 1. Rebooted several times 2. Uninstalled and re-installed 3. Updated to version 10.0.2

Has anyone had the same issue? I would appreciate any help or tips.

POSTED BY: Chris Richards
4 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

I also had the same issue on my Mac and the suggested steps in the linked posts worked. Given that I had not manually installed any Mathematica updates am I correct in assuming that Mathematica must be downloading updates/data in the background without my knowledge? I did try disabling my network connection but that did not fix the issue so I assume that something was transferred and saved locally for the problem to persist. Does anyone have any information regarding background updates that Mathematica does and how I can check for recent changes in case I get any future issues.

Thanks

POSTED BY: Lenny Johnson
Posted 9 years ago

I just talked with tech support who were very helpful and fast. This was due to some software cloud update. Here's the solution:

1. Turn off your internet connection.
  2. Open the Mac terminal and type...
  3. /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel
  4. The mathematica Kernel should be running in the window now - type:
  5. PacletUpdate["CloudObject"]
  6. Close everything
  7. Open Mathematica and it should work

Also see this recent post: http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/92931/mathematica-10-0-x-freezes-in-initializing-kernels

It may be the same problem as this one:

Hopefully the solution described there will work for you too.

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát
Posted 9 years ago

Yes, that was it! Just found it as well. Thanks for your quick reply.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract