8 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

Installing Mathematica on two PCs?

Posted 9 years ago

I need mathematica for my study of meteorlogy, so I'm going to buy the student version. Is it possible to install and use a Mathematica student edition on two PCs (notebook and desktop) with the same licence, like Adobe Creative Suite or Steam games?

POSTED BY: Sebastian K.
8 Replies

I did it by updating the student and home edition to Premier service. Then, under "Benefits" you find the Use of of a second installation. I downloaded the Linux version for a second computer. Even for a second installation on a dual boot machine you need the second download and separate activation.

Of course, as expected, you have to renew the Primier service each year, For vs 13.0 Premier service was helpful because the Null version was a happening of of unexpected events. Thy gave me a special download adress to download a corrected version.

Regards Roland

POSTED BY: Roland Franzius
Posted 1 year ago

https://user.wolfram.com/portal/requestSystemTransfer.html

This tool will let you tell wolfram that you wiped the program from a previous computer and let you re-use the key.

POSTED BY: apeters25r7
Posted 9 years ago

Thank you for your replies.

I wrote an email to Wolfram, I hope they'll answer soon.

[@Glen Deering][at0] The problem is that the Premier Service benefits list is empty.

And if you don't see there a way to get an Activation Key for a Home license, do contact Wolfram customer service. Phone is best if you're in a position to do that. E-mail could take a couple of days.

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
Posted 9 years ago

If Premier Service indeed entitles you to a Home license in addition to the main Student license, then log into your User Portal and check out the list of products available to you. It's under the "My Products and Services" tab. You'll see your Student license there. click on it.

The new page will show you a link near the top called "Premier Service". If you click on that, your Premier Service benefits should list a Home license there.

I don't know exactly what your screen will look like, but I hope this helps.

--Glen

POSTED BY: Glen Deering
Posted 9 years ago

Thank you! I bought my Student license with Premier Service. After payment was succesful, I downloaded Mathematica and installed it on my PC (self-built highend desktop, Win 8.1 Pro), then I activated it via online activation and registered it in the Wolfram User Portal.

Then, I used a USB drive to get the downloaded Mathematica zip folder on my notebook (Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon, Win 7 Pro), and installed it, which was succesful - but activation failed, because the system doesn't accept my activation key. What tho do now? As the description of Premier Service says, it's possible to install Mathematica on a second system, so the key should be accepted?

Another strange fact is that in my User Portal the box with "summary of benefits" - when you go to "My Produts and Sercives", click Mathematica and "Premier Service" - is empty?!

I would go ahead and talk to Wolfram Customer Support:

http://www.wolfram.com/support/contact/?source=nav

They will be able to answer your questions definitively.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke

No, so far as I'm aware: such a license is always for one particular machine. However, you have two other options:

1. Add Premier Service to your Student license. This entitles you also to a "home-license" copy, too.
  2. Buy instead the student version of Mathematica Online, which you can access from any computer.

For details, see: http://www.wolfram.com/mathematica/pricing/students.php

And it never hurts to verify any licensing questions you have by speaking by phone directly with a Wolfram sales representative!

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract