|
1 Reply
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Indent Mathematical Input

Hello,

I'm attempting to increase the readability of my typical mathematica notebook. Toward this end, I'd like to indent my mathematical input. I can indent text by using ALT+5,6,7, or 8, but mathematical input is always adjusted all the way to the left. To make sure I'm being clear about what I want, I've attached a snapshot of a notebook I'm working on:

I wish this Matrix and its accompanying

I've discovered a way to tune the justification of the cell content between left and right: TextAlignment-> -0.9 is almost what I want, but its a hokey solution because I really want the math to stay left justified, but indented, whereas this aligns each line slightly differently depending on its length.

I originally got the idea to indent the mathematical input from Mathematica's Documentation Notebooks, which always have the math indented with respect to the text, which gives a much less cluttered view IMO. I tried copying some of the cells from a help notebook, but I found that it wasn't that the math was indented but rather that none of the text was indented. I don't like this solution since I like having my subsections indented.

Do I need to get into stylesheets to get this working? Is there any simple quick fix?

Thanks

POSTED BY: David Reens

There are a number of possible solutions to this but there are various glitches.

1) Bring up the Ruler and use it to adjust the indenting by hand. You can bring up the Ruler with Mathematica Menu, Window, Toolbar, Ruler. But indenting a MatrixForm will tend to put the CellLabel on the left, which you may not want.

2) You can also adjust the output cell appearance by looking up the following Cell options:

?CellMargins
?CellLabelPositioning
?ShowCellLabel

You could open up an Output cell (Ctrl+Shift+E) and type these options in near the bottom of the cell specification, right after "Output". Either turn the CellLabel off or change its positioning to Above.

3) You could design your own stylesheet and modify the Output Cells. If you're not familiar with this I discuss it in my A Mathematica Style essay at my web site. Creating stylesheets is fairly easy - once you've made one!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract