|
11 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Determine branch cuts of say log[Z^3]?

Posted 8 years ago

I am determining branch cuts of complex valued functions and i would like Mathematica to check my work...Is this possible?

POSTED BY: Patrick Rose
11 Replies

In this case, ContourPlot can do the trick.

f[z_] := Log[z^3];
     With[{z = x + I y}, ContourPlot[Im[f[z]], {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, ClippingStyle -> Automatic, ExclusionsStyle -> {Black, Dashed}, 
     Axes -> True, Frame -> False, Contours -> 1, ContourShading -> None,ContourStyle -> None, AxesLabel -> {"Re[z]", "Im[z]"}]]

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Mariusz Iwaniuk
Posted 8 years ago

Is the following code sufficient for you (I found by accident):

ComplexAnalysis`BranchCuts[Log[z^3], z];
Assuming[ {x, y} \[Element] Reals, Simplify[% /. z -> x + I y] ]

The output is than:

(x < 0 && 
   y == 0) || (x > 
    0 && (y + Sqrt[3] Abs[x] == 0 || y == Sqrt[3] Abs[x]))

I could not find a proper way the make a nice plot (ContourPlot and RegionPlot don't give result).. Somebody?

Succes

POSTED BY: Wiel Aerts

Very cool! Where/how did you find the function?

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Posted 8 years ago

I just Google'd. Someone seems to know this function. See the link:

https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/109089/branch-cuts-of-sqrt

Succes.

POSTED BY: Wiel Aerts
Posted 8 years ago

That is the perfect code I needed. Thank you so much!!! and thanks to everyone. You are all so smart and nice. best wishes

Package ComplexAnalysis does not appear in the list of Standard Extra Packages, no file ComplexAnalysis.m seems to be in $InstallationDirectory, and the Documentation Center includes no entry for either ComplexAnalysis or BranchCuts!

However, if one evaluates an expression using function BranchCuts in context ComplexAnalysis, then

?ComplexAnalysis`BranchCuts

does reveal a usage message.

Very strange!

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
Posted 8 years ago

thank you so much Mr Huisman.

I am aware of the arbitrary way branch cuts can be defined.

Commonly though the Log[Z] function is defined on the principal branch with the branch cut being the origin and the negative real axis.

I used your code and graphed Log[Z] and it appears the branch is at y=0 and x<=1.

Why is this?

I thought it should be at y=0 and x<=0.

thanks in advance best wishes

As David said, they are indeed somewhat arbitrary... You can see the branch cuts using a plot:

Plot3D[Arg@Log[(x + I y)^3], {x, -4, 4}, {y, -4, 4}]

where z has been replaced by x+ I y, and we take e.g. the Real (Re) or Imaginary (Im) or Argument (Arg) part...

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Posted 8 years ago

i do not wish for a Riemann surface representation...just a 2d plot of the branch cuts like i have seen in Maple

Posted 8 years ago

branch lines using the principal value say for log[z^3] are the negative x axis and the rays at pi/3 and negative pi/3 in this and other cases with log[g[x]] there is one answer...Maple has a function that determines and graphs these..

Is there a similar function in Mathematica yes or no :)

thanks best wishes

How to you determine the branch lines? I believe they are somewhat arbitrary. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) For standard functions in Mathematica the function Help pages generally tell you how the branch lines are chosen. For arbitrary functions you are relatively free to pick the paths yourself.

If the function you are looking at has a small finite number of critical points or branch points then it can be represented on a Riemann surface and has no branch lines at all. My Presentations application has Multivalues routines that allows one to plot a function on a Riemann surface. The function value is represented by a vector attached to a Locator point. As you drag the locator around the vector will change but it is always smooth and single valued. For the Sqrt[z] you can drag it around the origin without any discontinuities but you have to go around twice to return the same value. You have traversed different portions of the Riemann surface.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract