Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
6 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Evaluate notebook vs. cell by cell evaluation?

Posted 8 years ago

We have a bug that occurs on one machine and not others.

The bug does not occur when "Evaluate Notebook" from the Evaluation menu is used with a fresh kernel. But it does occur when, with a fresh kernel, the notebook is evaluated by hand, cell by cell, in order. The first statement loads a package.

My question is: What is the difference in the evaluation for these two methods that could cause a difference?

6 Replies

Just as a random thought for debugging this, check to see in the first case if the symbols defined in the package also exist in the Global` context. This may lead to nothing....

POSTED BY: David Reiss

I was concerned about that because some of the symbols were Private symbols in the package. But then we carefully picked symbols that were not Private or exported. The main symptom of failure is that the notebook loses connection to the package context. And this even occurs on subsequent Input cells where exported symbols get changed to symbols with the package context attached - because it no longer recognizes it.

Posted 8 years ago

No, and it seems to be a problem that occurs with Mathematica 10 and 11 on Windows 10 - but not on Windows 7 or Mac.

Can you provide an example of how this is happening?

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

I'll contact Support, but it's complicated enough that I want to do more work first to see if I can narrow it down.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract