|
3 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator?

Posted 11 years ago
The thread about the Leap Motion controller reminded me to ask about the SpaceNavigator.

I have the SpaceNavigator. I works in other compatible applications on my Windows 7 PC. The SpaceNavigator is mentioned in the Documentation Center. There is a  blog entry that mentions the SpaceNavigator.  However, I have not been able to get it to work with Mathematica. The output from entering ControllerInformation[] doesn't show anything regarding the SpaceNavigator. For example,
In[3]:= cinf = ControllerInformation[All];

In[15]:= Cases[cinf, (x_String -> {__}) -> x]

Out[15]= {"Programmable Hotkeys", "ShareSwitch", "Wacom Tablet", \
"Wacom Tablet", "Saitek X52 Flight Control System"}
Has anyone used the SpaceNavigator with Mathematica? Is there something I need to do to get Mathematica to recognize the SpaceNavigator?

Note: To make this post easier to read, I edited to remove the extremely long output of ControllerInformation[]. The output now lists only the devices listed by ControllerInformation[].

Thanks in advance.
POSTED BY: David G
3 Replies
Me and my dad programmed something with it a long time ago.  

So here is what I would do, in devices tab in
SystemInformation[]
 you can find the name of the device.  Then put that into
ControllerState["name of the thing"]
which will show you the current value of all the various buttons and knobs.
Now put a dynamic around it 
Dynamic[ControllerState["name of the thing"]]
and you can see what moves when you press a certain button.
Posted 11 years ago
OK. Unfortunately, that is part of the problem. I don't see any item related to the 3Dconnexion SpaceNavigator in the device list from either
ControllerInformation[]
 or
SystemInformation[]
I know that the SpaceNavigator is working in other apps (SketchUp 8 Pro and ViaCAD Pro 7). It doesn't appear to be recognized by Mathematica.
POSTED BY: David G
If its any help, I just tried my Space Navigator and it connects OK - ControllerInformation[] lists it along with about 6 other devices. This is with Mm9 running on OS X Snow Leopard (10.8.4). Good luck.
POSTED BY: Michael Burns
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract