Message Boards Message Boards

Stability of Mathematica 11.0.0?

Posted 8 years ago

On Dec 5, 2014, I upgraded from Mathematica 9.0.1 to 10.0.1. Mathematica 10.0.1 had so many bugs, was so unstable, I could not even use it. I wasted hours trying to figure out the problem. Eventually, on Dec 15, 2014, Wolfram Inc. offered 10.0.2 on my Wolfram User Portal. I am currently using 10.0.2 on Windows 7-64 Pro and it is stable. The last time Mathematica 10.0.2 APPCRASH'd was June 17, 2015.

What is the stability of Mathematica 11.0.0? Does 11.0.0 APPCRASH a lot?

I am considering upgrading, and not waiting for 11.0.2, because yesterday I received this Wolfram Inc. email:

"I can provide your upgrade to Mathematica 11 for only $95.
    The upgrade price will increase to $150 effective October 1,
    so this would be the best time to upgrade your license. You
    can upgrade in the webstore now or contact me directly to
    process your order:"

I was going to wait for 11.0.2 to be released. However, the above price increase is making me consider the upgrade earlier than I wanted. I do not want to install 11.0.0, only to discover it is unstable and then wait for Wolfram Inc. to release 11.0.2. I do not want, and I do not have the time, to deal with bugs anymore. As an example, Continuum Anaconda Python APPCRASH'd Nov 2015 and has been nonfunctional ever since. I have not reinstalled it because it will take all weekend to uninstall/reinstall and tweak.

Dan.

POSTED BY: Dan M
4 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

I believe that when one upgrades MMA, the shopping cart specifies that the license is upgraded to 11.0--not 11.0.0. If an 11.0.2 or .0.3 or .0.4 gets released, you should automatically see its availability to upgrade/download for free in your User Portal.

I specifically noticed the "11.0" license upgrade when I just bought mine recently. Correct me, someone, if you know I'm wrong here, but... To me, that implies that I will have to pay for an upgrade to 11.1's features, but not for bug fixes to 11.0.X.

So, yes. Don't bother to wait for bug fixes if you think you want 11.0 features. It hasn't given me any trouble yet, and I've got a pretty weak Windows 10 x64 laptop.

(Thanks for the info about the upcoming price increase. I'm glad I did mine before that.)

POSTED BY: Glen Deering

Mathematica 10.0 was a huge release, the biggest since v6.0. It has a lot of new functionality, lots of changes (including fundamental ones), and lots of bugs.

Mathematica 11.0 is not like this. Yes, it has some new bugs since 10.0.2, but nothing critical. It also has many more bugfixes since 10.0. Overall I think 11.0 is much better than 10.0, as it should be. My advice is not to worry about bugs in this case. Make your decision based on whether there's new functionality you need.

As Hans said, you can have the two versions installed side by side. If/when 11.0.1 comes out, I think it should be a free upgrade to those who have 11.0.0. If you want v11, I see no reason to wait for the point release.

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát
Posted 8 years ago

Two or more versions of Mathematica can be installed side by side. So you could install 11.0.0, keeping 10.0.2 as a fallback.

POSTED BY: Hans Milton

I have been using Mathematica 11.0 on MacOS daily since its release, and I cannot remember it crashing on me. There is an issue with rotating 3D plots on my specific mac model, with an easy workaround.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract