Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
8 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Use a random number generator in Select?

Posted 7 years ago

Dear Community,

I tried to use, for example, RandomInteger, in Select as follows:

Block[{x = Range[0, 9], r},
 r = RandomInteger[9];
 {x, Select[x, # == RandomInteger[9] &], r, Select[x, # == r &]}
 ]

But the following is the output I obtained in one run:

{{0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}, {0, 7, 9}, 3, {3}}

Also, the output in the first Select could be a list of length 1, 2, or 3, different from one run to another. The second Select, however, always gives correct result. Similar problem was found for RandomReal.

Is a random number generator not allowed as part of the criterion? If not, what are the reasons?

Many thanks,

Chi-Hsiang

POSTED BY: Chi-Hsiang Wang
8 Replies

-- incorrect information removed --

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát

Hi Szabolcs, not sure whether I'm wrong, but according to the Documentation Center, RandomInteger[k] generates integer in the range {0,...,k}. A simulation run of Table[RandomInteger@9, 100] does generate some zero's, but please let me know if this is not the case.

Best,

Chi-Hsiang

You are correct, thanks! I removed my post so it won't confuse people.

Thanks, very kind of you!

That's it! Many thanks Szabolcs... :-)

I now understand that it's because for comparison to each of the list elements, RandomInteger generates a random number to make the comparison. So for each execution of

Select[Range[0, 9], # == RandomInteger[9] &]

Ten pairs of numbers are compared, with the first number in sequential order and the second randomly generated.

Thanks again, Szabolcs!

Many thanks Gianluca!

However, I still don't understand why it generates a list of more than one element, and the number of elements can be different from one run to another.

Are there ways to look at the internal working of this simple program?

Chi-Hsiang

However, I still don't understand why it generates a list of more than one element, and the number of elements can be different from one run to another.

Each time you run RandomInteger[9], you get a different result, right?

If you evaluate 5 == RandomInteger[9] many times, usually you get False, but 1/10 of the time you get True.

Select will evaluate # == RandomInteger[9] for each element of the list. Each time you are comparing with a different and random number.

Try this to see what is happening during the evaluation of this Select:

Select[Range[9], Echo[#, "List element: "] == Echo[RandomInteger[9], "Random number: "] &]

Each time # == RandomInteger[9] & is called, a new random integer is created. For example,

Select[{1,2,3}, # == RandomInteger[3] &]

the program starts with 1, it generates a random integer, for example 2, then compare the two numbers to see if they are the same. Next it will take 2, generate a number, for example 1 (newly generated!), compare, etc. When # == r & is called, the r is always the same r that has been created earlier.

Or perhaps I misunderstood your question.

POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract