GROUPS:

[✓] Plot the tangent of a function?

Posted 7 months ago
|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

In my mathematical programming class, I have to write a function in Mathematica that takes in a function f and a point pt and gives the graph of f and the tangent line of f at pt. This is probably a very simple task, however, I'm having some difficulty. This is what I have:

drawTangent[f_, {x0_, y0_}] := 
  Plot[{f, f'[x0]*(x - x0) + y0}, {x, x0 - 10, y0 + 10}, 
   PlotRange -> {y0 - 10, y0 + 10}];

I really think this should work. The problem is that instead of giving the tangent line it gives f[x]=y0. drawTangent[g[x], {-3, 9}], where g[x_]:=x^2, gives g[x^2] and f[x]=9. I think instead of f'[x]=-6 mathematica gives f'[x]=0. I checked and it does this for all other points on the graph. Yet, when I input g'[-3] in a different cell by itself i get -6. Can some explain what I did wrong? Should I put something else instead of f'[x0]?

4 Replies

Mia,

This post should help: post

Regards

Neil

Posted 7 months ago

Thank you for your suggestion!

Posted 7 months ago

Hi. I think that to draw a tangent a curve your point has to actually be on the curve.

I rewrote your function slightly. I used the following code to put a point inside the plot showing where the tangent line passes:

https://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/101660/how-to-put-single-points-inside-the-plot

$Version
fun[x_]:=Sin[x]
ptslope[x_,x0_]:= Plot[{fun[x],fun'[x0]*(x-x0)+fun[x0]},{x,x0-2,x0+2},
Epilog -> {Blue, PointSize@Large, Point[{x0, fun[x0]}]}]
ptslope[x,Pi/4]

enter image description here

Edit: See Dr. Singer's very well written post and also note that his solution takes greater care of watching for pathological behavior such as the non existence of a derivative at a particular point.

POSTED BY: v z
Answer
Posted 7 months ago

Thank you for your suggestion!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract