Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

How to remove vertex coordinates from a graph?

Posted 3 months ago
|
4 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
|

Given a Graph with hard-coded vertex coordinates, how can we remove those coordinates without affecting any other graph properties? I am looking for a performant solution that uses only documented functionality.

Here's a simple example. This is a graph with hard-coded vertex coordinates. It also has other properties such as edge weights and styling.

g = NearestNeighborGraph[Tuples[Range[5], {2}], 
 VertexStyle -> {{3, 4} -> Red}, VertexSize -> {{4, 3} -> Medium}, 
 EdgeWeight -> {v1_ \[UndirectedEdge] v2_ :> EuclideanDistance[v1, v2]}]

I can't use Graph[g, GraphLayout -> "SpectralEmbedding"] because the coordinates are hard-coded. So how do I remove them without affecting anything else?

Simple tasks should have simple solutions. What is a simple solution here?

4 Replies

Hi Szabolcs,

not elegant but if I understand you correctly this might work:

removeVertexCoordinates[g_Graph] := ToExpression[StringReplace[ToString[InputForm[g]], ", VertexCoordinates ->" ~~ ___ ~~ "}" -> "}" ]]

So for example:

Graph[removeVertexCoordinates[g], GraphLayout -> "SpectralEmbedding"]

enter image description here

Not very elegant and probably not fast (not performant), but....

Cheers,

Marco

I believe I could do

Graph[VertexList[g], EdgeList[g], FilterRules[Options[g], Except[VertexCoordinates]]]

but I am not sure that this qualifies as either simple, performant or documented. I do not think I have seen such a use of Options with Graph in the documentation. Can I be sure that all options are extracted, and that they are extracted in a format that can be fed back to Graph? Performance is not very good on large graphs with properties.

This is basically the same problem as removing EdgeWeights to make a graph unweighted, which I asked about in the past.

I am aware of some undocumented means to change graph options with good performance, e.g. the ideas shown here. But I am not really happy with these. Graph expressions were clearly not meant to be accessed this way, so if I use such hacks, they might break in the next Mathematica version. If they break, I obviously can't complain to Wolfram Support.

Removing edge weights or vertex coordinates is one of the most basic tasks one might want to do with a network.

I would like to know what solution Wolfram recommends for these simple tasks. Then I can use it confidently without worrying about breakage, or incorrect results due to misuse.

RemoveProperty removes the property associated with a vertex or edge in a graph.

Options[RemoveProperty[g, VertexStyle], VertexStyle]

Some properties such as VertexCoordinates, VertexWeight and EdgeWeight are not modified by RemoveProperty due to a known issue. This issue will be fixed in the coming release. Your workaround is correct:

Graph[VertexList[g], EdgeList[g], FilterRules[Options[g], Except[VertexCoordinates]]]

Thanks for confirming that the workaround is appropriate!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract