GROUPS:

Suggestion: mathlink.h / wstp.h shouldn't include <windows.h>

Posted 4 months ago
|
0 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
|

If it is at all technically feasible, it would be useful (or rather: user-friendlier) if mathlink.h did not include windows.h on Windows systems.

Recently I had a very frustrating experience where a C++ library wouldn't work on Windows when used in conjunction with MathLink. The problem turned out to be that the C++ library uses the names IN and OUT internally, but windows.h defines these as macros. It also defines many other macros which have a potential for conflict and difficult to debug situations.

It took quite a while to debug because the code was working fine on OS X / Linux, so at first I thought that the problem was with the Microsoft compiler. Then I realized that it was related to including mathlink.h, but it took some more time before I managed to find the relationship to windows.h and the unexpected IN/OUT macros.

I am not experienced with Windows programming, and it is not clear to me if it is feasible to drop the windows.h dependency from mathlink.h for a future version ... I noticed two places where it was actually needed:

• For the WinMain function that mprep generates. This is not an issue as the #include <windows.h> can be moved to mprep's output.
  • For the FAR macro. But this has been obsolete for many many years now anyway.

@John Fultz, do you think it would be possible to remove the #include <windows.h> from a future version of mathlink.h/wstp.h? Or are there still-relevant technical reasons to keep it?

Does anyone else see a reason why doing this is not technically feasible?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract