|
10 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How do you post and reply?

Posted 11 years ago
For posting there are a number of tool icons available, and accepted methods for posting code, or perhaps uploading a notebook. In fact, the "tip" says I can provide code snippets, screen shots, and links. Is this documented somewhere? It would be useful if simple instructions were pinned to the top of the group postings.
POSTED BY: David Keith
10 Replies
Posted 11 years ago
Well, I think I've got it, Vitaliy. 
Considering that you guys in Wolfie-Land have about the same IQ/m^3 as the Institute for Advanced Study, I'll be hoping we can share real code here before too long!
;-)
Posted 11 years ago
Thanks again, Vitaliy.
Yes this is correct. It is advised to watch out for cell breaks.
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Posted 11 years ago
Thank you, Vitaliy.  
I notice one more thing I have a question about. In the code I posted, a cell with output suppressed is followed by a semicolon, as usual. But a cell where I intend the output to be displayed is not. But when I copy code from a code block and paste it into a notebook, it does not know where the cell divisions are. It all goes into one cell. So any line without a semicolon is now a syntax error. Is that correct?
David, indeed code blocks as we call them here are only for code. They do quite a few useful things.
  • They highlight code syntax almost as Mathematica does
  • You can copy code from posted code block back to Mathematica and it will work
But you are correct, if you look around, especially at the posts by Wolfram employees you will find that text never goes into code block unless it is a comment in (* ... *). Text is typed in a usual way and you can use rich text formatting that is done with help of other useful buttons in the editor.
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
Dear David, the Chrome or Firefox browsers are the safest way to proceed. Could you try that?
POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Posted 11 years ago
OK.  Firefox worked. IE does not. I replied to someone and pasted Mathematic code (selectAll-copy-paste) using the Spikey ball. Unfortunately, all the headers and comments went in as input, so we really aren't pasting code, just text. It might be useful, but not nearly as useful as real code that Mathematica can understand -- just as it came from a notebook. I guess I see why I've seen posts where code went n in individual snippets with the headers and comments moved outside the code space and into the text. Still, much better than the google group!
Posted 11 years ago
OK -- I gave it a try. When entering text, the CR is not accepted -- No way to get to a new paragraph. When I select the Spikey Button to paste code I don't get a gray frame. Instead I get a warning that I'm about to leave the page without posting, so my input will be lost.  Any other button generates the same warning. I'm using IE10 on Win 7 Pro x64.
Dear David, welcome to the Wolfram Community! Such tutorial is currently under development. When it will be made available we will notify Wolfram Community by email. For now we can just recommend trying things out. Most important though is using the red Spikey button for posting code. First click the button and then paste code in the appeared gray frame. We do support image upload, but not notebook upload - it will become available in the future though. Please let us know if you have any more questions.
POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Posted 11 years ago
Thank you. I'll give it a try. But a simple paragraph, pinned to the top of the community group would suffice.
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract