Message Boards Message Boards

[WSS18] Visualization of the Sardex Network

POSTED BY: leanne ussher
2 Replies

In this short analysis I aggregated the multiple links between the same vertices for the entire time period. I would agree that the software doesn't seem to be well endowed with network analysis tools, but perhaps I just need to find some studies that have done this. Another issue is that Mathematica does not have out of the box support for time-spatial correlation analysis. I'm sure it would be easy enough to do though. Thanks for your comments.

POSTED BY: leanne ussher

I have worked with a dataset that had a similar structure in the past, and I found Mathematica's Graph data structure to be quite lacking for representing it. In particular, the lack of proper multi-graph support was a problem. Did you experience any similar difficulties?

In general, there may be multiple transactions between the same buyer and seller. Thus the graph of transactions is naturally a multigraph (i.e. a graph having more than one edge between the same vertices). Mathematica simply does not support edge properties for multigraphs (moreover, there is no indication in the documentation that this is the case—things just fail in confusing ways). Thus we cannot use a Graph to store important properties such as the time and amount of transactions.

It is still possible to work with such datasets in Mathematica, but not through Graph. Thus operations that are more natural with Graph, such as various structural randomizations suitable as null models, become very cumbersome. We would practically end up re-implementing a multi-graph data structure anyway, except it won't have good enough performance for even moderate datasets.

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract