|
5 Replies
|
5 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Communicating with an Arduino Uno over a serial connection

Posted 11 years ago
This post shows how to talk to a Arduino Uno over a serial connection using the Wolfram Language.

To recreate this experiment you will need the following hardware:

(and a resistor of about 400 ohm)

As a first step upload the following sketch to the Arduino Uno so that it will listen and respond
to serial traffic from the Wolfram Language:

void setup()
 {
   Serial.begin( 115200);
   for(int i=2;i<10;i++) {
     pinMode(i,OUTPUT);
   }
 }

void loop()
{
  if( Serial.available()>=2)
  {
    int pin = Serial.read();
    int value = Serial.read();
    digitalWrite( pin, value);
    Serial.write("ok");
  }
}

This particular code will expect two values: A pin number (from 2 to 9) and an on/off value (0/1).

Next configure your hardware as shown in the image below. Use 8 jumper wires to connect pin 2 through 9 to individual rows on the breadboard in column F. Then connect 8 leds from those same rows from the J column to the blue minus column. Finally use the resistor and one jumper wire to connect back to the GND (ground) on the Arduino.

Now connect the Arduino Uno to the Raspberry Pi using the USB A-B cable. Turn on your Raspberry Pi and launch the Wolfram Language. You can open the serial device with the DeviceOpen command shown below. Then after you open it, you can turn LEDs on and off with individual DeviceWrite commands. In this case I use {5,1} to turn the LED connected to pin 5 on:

pi@raspberry-wri2 ~ $ wolfram
 Wolfram Language (Raspberry Pi Pilot Release)
 Copyright 1988-2013 Wolfram Research
 Information & help: wolfram.com/raspi

In[1]:= serial = DeviceOpen["Serial", {"/dev/ttyACM0", "BaudRate"->115200}]

Out[1]= DeviceObject[{Serial, 1}]

In[2]:= DeviceWriteBuffer[serial, {5,1}]
POSTED BY: Arnoud Buzing
5 Replies

There is an updated version of this post available here.

POSTED BY: Ian Johnson
SerialIO should just work fine with Mathematica  9. 

This website explains SerialIO for Mac, which apparently is more difficult to get to run than on other operating systems. I have used that myself for several projects and it works just fine. The installation is very much straight forward. It is unsupported but it might bridge the gap until Mathematica 10 comes out.

M.
POSTED BY: Marco Thiel
Up to now the DeviceOpen[] command works only from the Raspberian linux version on the Raspberry Pi microprocessor.  It will not run on your Mathematica 9.  Also, how this package  SeriallO has worked for you?  Ther eis littel information online.
POSTED BY: Jose Calderon
Posted 10 years ago
Impressive!

I tried to do a similar thing before, but my Mathematica 9 seems to lake the DeviceOpen[] command. Mathematica 10 is not yet released. So I wonder how this command works for you. I'd appreciate it if you tell me. Otherwise, I will stay stuck with the unsupported SerialIO package.

Thanks
POSTED BY: Saf Al
Brilliant...Brilliant!!!!!  Have you tried to controll an unipolar  steeper motor?

The only thing missing here is a full picture connectin g to the RPi.  
Also, It is possible to control via ethernet?  I know that I may receive activity information  from the arduino, but has a scketch may make possible  reading incomming information send from a web form?
POSTED BY: Jose Calderon
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract