Message Boards Message Boards

Introduction to Stochastic Processes for Finance Research and Trading

This is the dedicated discussion of Wolfram U's course: Introduction to Stochastic Processes for Finance Research and Trading.

Take the course here: https://www.wolfram.com/wolfram-u/courses/finance/stochastic-processes-finance-research-trading/

Please feel free to use this thread to collaborate and share ideas, materials and links to other resources with fellow learners as you work through the Introduction to Stochastic Processes for Finance Research and Trading course! Join Jonathan Kinlay and fellow learners to learn about modeling financial data with stochastic processes for quantitative research and trading. Course topics include properties and applications for various stochastic processes such as a random walk, the Wiener process and geometric Brownian motion. Analysts and portfolio managers in the financial sector often rely on computational models for managing assets and optimizing investment portfolios, and modeling stochastic processes helps you make sense of and predict outcomes in random data, like stock prices.

If you want more, try out Modeling Market Prices Using Stochastic Processes, Random Processes in Finance and Optimization of Portfolios and Investments on Wolfram U!

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Jonathan Kinlay
5 Replies
Posted 1 month ago

Thank you so much for creating such a course! I just came across it, and it seems very useful and interesting. I have some general knowledge of finance, statistics and Mathematica fundamentals, so I hope it will not be too complicated for me. I want to improve my skills in finance and financial technologies, so I'm looking for some courses which can help me. In the future, I want to create an app, and I've already found this company, https://dashdevs.com/fintech-software-development/, which provides different solutions and seems to be a good one to work with. But I don't have a plan or something yet, and I'd like to work on it myself, but still getting professional help is beneficial.

POSTED BY: Trent Rogers

Dear @Jonathan, this sounds great! The course says it is Intermediate. Is any prerequisite knowledge required -- finance or any other kind?

POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie

I would strongly suggest that you have some knowledge of finance, probability and statistics and Mathematica fundamentals before taking the course. For example, we show how to derive the Black-Scholes model, which makes use of several key concepts in probability. And without some knowledge of finance and basic option theory, it's not likely to make a great deal of sense to you.

Thanks Joshua. Good catch!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract