Message Boards Message Boards

Why the heat equation doesn't work with NDSolve?

Posted 9 years ago

Hi. I want to find a numerical solution for the heat equation. I use Mathematica 10.0. The code that I use to find the solution is this:

NDSolve[{D[u[t, x], t] == D[u[t, x], x, x], u[0, x] == 0, 
  u[t, 0] == Sin[t], u[t, 5] == 0}, u, {t, 0, 10}, {x, 0, 5}]

The problem is that, when I click on "evaluate notebook", the program runs for few seconds and then it stops without error messagges, but only with a "beep" sound. So I click on "Help / Why the Beep?..." and this is the message that appears on the screen: "The kernel Local has quit (exited) during the course of an evaluation."

What does it mean? Please help me, I don't know how to solve this problem. Thanks for your suggestions.

Jo R

POSTED BY: Jo R
11 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Thank you Bruce Miller. I will do that.

Posted 9 years ago

I opened the task manager while kernel was running and i saw that the memory occupied was 2GB max. So it isn't the problem. It's very strange. However thank you for your help.

Registering or not registering should have nothing to do with a crash.

Since this is repeatable for you, try catching a dump of it.

• Start the Mathematica kernel by itself (Start menu - All Programs -
    Wolfram Mathematica - Wolfram Mathematica 10.0 Kernel).
  • Paste the line of code into it. (See first screen shot.) enter image description here
  • Evaluate the line of code with Enter or Shift+Enter.
  • If there is a crash notice,
    • open the Task Manager,
    • locate the MathKernel process,
    • right-click on it, and
    • in the pop-up menu click on Create Dump File.

enter image description here

This will probably be too big to send by email. It can be uploaded via http://upload.wolfram.com/. For the "Recipient:" field, put "support@wolfram.com". In the "Additional notes:", mention this discussion number, 424357.

It would be helpful if you sent the output from running systeminfo in a command-prompt window (via Start - Programs - Accessories, or Start - Run - cmd.exe) (This also is long. Copy and paste it into return email or put it into a file and attach the file.) It looks like

C:\>systeminfo

Host Name:                 MLLRWIN
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
OS Version:                6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Member Workstation
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
POSTED BY: Bruce Miller
Posted 9 years ago

I've tried to solve the problem by resetting Mathematica, but it hasn't worked. However, I'm thinking that I activated the software with product key, but I didn't registered it on the wolfram's website. Would it be the cause of the problem?

Posted 9 years ago

I doubt that is the problem. The kernel can exit if out of memory. I would think 6GB was enough, but the least I have on a system is 8GB on my laptop.

POSTED BY: David Keith
Posted 9 years ago

For simple equations it works perfectly. I've tried also to solve ordinary differential equations and it works without any problem. The problem appears when I try to solve more complex equations, like partial differential equations. I don't know what to do, I'm spending a lot of time only to understand what kind of problem it is.

Posted 9 years ago

This is unusual. If resetting doesn't work, you might want to contact tech support. Or . . . maybe someone else on the forum has an insight.

Posted 9 years ago

One more thing, Jo. I notice this is the 2nd post in which you describe an unexpected kernel exit. Does anything work? For example, If you start Mathematica fresh and then input x = 2, do you get the same problem? If so, you might read the information on resetting preferences: Resetting Mathematica

(similar post is http://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/424530 - moderator)

Posted 9 years ago

Hi David Keith. Thank you for the answer. I post the notebook here. It is possible that it's an hardware problem? I have an ASUS F552EP with: - microprocessor AMD quad-core 2.0 GHz - 6 GB RAM The OS is Windows 7 (64-bit).

Attachments:
Posted 9 years ago

Hi Jo -- this notebook works OK for me. I suggest resetting Mathematica.

Posted 9 years ago

The code you posted works for me. Try running it in a fresh kernel. If it still doesn't work, I suggest you post the notebook.

In[12]:= $Version

Out[12]= "10.0 for Microsoft Windows (64-bit) (December 4, 2014)"

In[13]:= sol = 
  NDSolve[{D[u[t, x], t] == D[u[t, x], x, x], u[0, x] == 0, 
     u[t, 0] == Sin[t], u[t, 5] == 0}, u, {t, 0, 10}, {x, 0, 5}] // 
   First;

In[14]:= Plot3D[u[t, x] /. sol, {t, 0, 10}, {x, 0, 5}, 
 PlotRange -> All]

enter image description here

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract