Message Boards Message Boards

IGraph/M: igraph interface for Mathematica

GROUPS:

The post below was written for the original release of IGraph/M. The current release is 0.3.0. See http://szhorvat.net/mathematica/IGraphM for more details.

It is compatible with Windows 64-bit, macOS 10.9 or later, Linux 64-bit and Raspbian Jessie (on the Raspberry Pi computer). It requires Mathematica 10.0.2 or later.

I would like to announce IGraph/M, a new igraph interface for Mathematica: http://szhorvat.net/mathematica/IGraphM

igraph is a graph manipulation and analysis package. IGraph/M makes its functionality available from Mathematica.

This initial release, version 0.1, covers only some igraph functions, as I focused on the things that I need personally. However the main framework is complete, and new functions can be added quickly. If anyone would like to contribute, please contact me.

Binary packages for OS X (10.9 or later) and Linux can be downloaded from GitHub. Unfortunately I was unable to compile the development version of igraph for Windows, so I cannot provide a Windows version. If you can help with compiling igraph itself (not IGraph/M) on Windows, please let me know!

Functionality in this release that is not built into Mathematica:

• Vertex betweenness centrality for weighted graphs
  • Estimates of vertex betweenness, edge betweenness and closeness centrality; for large graphs
  • Minimum feedback arc set for weighted and unweighted graphs
  • Find all cliques (not just maximal ones)
  • Count 3- and 4-motifs
  • Rewire edges, keeping either the density or the degree sequence
  • Alternative algorithms for isomorphism testing: Bliss, VF2
  • Subgraph isomorphism
  • Test if a degree sequence is graphical
  • Alternative algorithms for generating random graphs with given degree sequence
  • Layout algorithms that take weights into account

Note that IGraph/M is not a replacement for Mathematica's graphs and networks functionality. It is meant to complement what is already available in Mathematica, thus it primarily focuses on adding functionality that is not already present.

Why did I release the package before covering most of the igraph functionality? I do not have time to work on things I do not personally need or use, so I am unlikely to extend it further unless the need comes up. I do think that the functions that are included in v0.1 can already be useful to others too. I would also like to give the opportunity for people to contribute to the project if they wish to. The groundwork has been laid, so further extensions should be quick and relatively easy.

Also check out a related project, IGraphR, which makes igraph available for Mathematica users through RLink. I wrote IGraph/M because I needed higher performance and greater reliability (especially for parallel computing) than what RLink could provide.

A request: If any of you have used IGraphR in the past to access igraph from Mathematica, please post a response to this thread and let me know which specific functions you were using.

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát
Answer
2 years ago

Version 0.1.1 is now available.

Changes:

• Windows 64 bit binaries are now included
  • New functions, polish and fixes
  • Basic documentation notebook with some examples. Evaluate IGDocumentation[] to open.

Try it and let me know if something doesn't work, especially on Windows!

https://github.com/szhorvat/IGraphM/releases

Answer
2 years ago

Hello, I did give it a spin on windows 7 64 and 10.1 kernel. All functions work in your documentation (manually opened) The only error appears when I use IGDocument[] to open the documentation.

FileNameJoin::optx: Unknown option Saveable in FileNameJoin[{E:\WolframApps\igraphmtest\IGraphM-0.1.1\IGraphM-0.1.1\IGraphM\,Documentation,IGDocumentation.nb},Saveable->False]. >>

nice work!

POSTED BY: Pieter van Bijnen
Answer
2 years ago

Thank you for letting me know! This is now fixed in version 0.1.2. There are few changes in this version; its main purpose was to fix a bug on Windows where some functions were not working at all.

Answer
2 years ago

IGraph/M version 0.1.3 is released now, with expanded coverage for igraph functions and a lot of polish for the already covered ones.

Highlights for this release:

• Community detection algorithms
  • Automorphism group for vertex coloured graphs; multigraph isomorphism
  • Additional centrality measures with support for weighted graphs
Answer
2 years ago

IGraph/M 0.2.0 is released now with many improvements.

• Significant performance improvements for many functions
  • New and extended functions for shortest path calculations (extended IGDistanceMatrix, IGDistanceCounts, IGDistanceHistogram, IGDiameter, IGFindDiameter)
  • Support for weighted clique calculations (IGWeightedCliques, IGMaximalWeightedCliques, IGLargestWeightedCliques, IGWeightedCliqueNumber)
  • Additional new functions
  • Syntax highlighting for functions
  • Raspberry Pi support
  • Compatibility with Mathematica 10.4 on OS X.
  • Bug fixes

I would appreciate any testing people can do on platforms I didn't have access to (priorities in decreasing order: Linux, Windows, OS X, pre-10.3 Mathematica versions).

Answer
1 year ago

IGraph/M 0.2.0 is released now with many improvements. It can be downloaded from https://github.com/szhorvat/IGraphM/releases as usual.

• Significant performance improvements for many functions
  • New and extended functions for shortest path calculations (extended IGDistanceMatrix, IGDistanceCounts, IGDistanceHistogram, IGDiameter, IGFindDiameter)
  • Support for weighted clique calculations (IGWeightedCliques, IGMaximalWeightedCliques, IGLargestWeightedCliques, IGWeightedCliqueNumber)
  • Additional new functions
  • Syntax highlighting for functions
  • Raspberry Pi support
  • Compatibility with Mathematica 10.4 on OS X.
  • Bug fixes

I would appreciate any testing people can do on platforms I didn't have access to (priorities in decreasing order: Linux, Windows, OS X, pre-10.3 Mathematica versions).

Answer
1 year ago

IGraph/M 0.2.1 is now released. This is a bugfix release. It can be downloaded from https://github.com/szhorvat/IGraphM/releases as usual.

Two bugs which could cause wrong results to be returned are fixed. If you use any of the affected functions, please upgrade.

The following changes require special mention:

• IGFeedbackArcSet could return wrong results for some graphs. This is now fixed.
  • The "RemovedEdges" property returned by IGCommunitiesEdgeBetweenness could be incorrect for some graphs. This is now fixed. Other properties were not affected.
  • The Hierarchical Clustering package is no longer auto-loaded by IGraph/M to avoid shadowing DistanceMatrix, a new builtin added in Mathematica 10.3. Load this package manually (<<HierarchicalClustering`) to work with the "HierarchicalClusters" property of IGClusterData objects.

A number of other small bugs were also fixed.

Answer
1 year ago

IGraph/M 0.3.0 is now available.

This release fixes compatibility with Mathematica 11.1.

It also introduces new functions, performance improvements, bug fixes and polish. Upgrading is recommended for all users.

Answer
6 months ago

Pre-release 0.3.90, leading up to 0.4, is now available:

Let me know if you find any problems, or have any suggestions.

This release has several utility functions for working with graph properties and weighted graphs.

Answer
6 months ago

Hi Szabolcs, Your package looks really awesome! I just installed the latest on my Windows 10 with MM11.1.1.0 and it runs fine. The documentation is also very nice. What an effort and work! The warnings are all correct and documented (I ran the whole documentation). The only unexpected "red" was:

DendrogramPlot[cl1["HierarchicalClusters"], 
 LeafLabels -> (Rotate[#, Pi/2] &), ImageSize -> 750, 
 AspectRatio -> 1/2]

enter image description here

Can't wait to play with this Package!

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Answer
6 months ago

Don't worry about the red colouring here. This is only because the builtin HierarchicalClustering package hasn't been updated to make use of SyntaxInformation. These options work correctly. The highlighting can be safely ignored.

Answer
6 months ago

Prerelease 0.3.91 is now available. If you tried the previous prerelease, please upgrade.

This release includes bug fixes, documentation improvements, and a few new functions.

Let me know if you find any problems, or have any suggestions.

Answer
5 months ago

Prerelease 0.3.92 is now available. If you are using Mathematica 11.2, please do upgrade! The previous prerelease may cause problems with the M11.2 documentation centre.

Download it from GitHub:

This release is still marked as a "prerelease" because not all features I planned are ready. However, at this point, I strongly recommend using it instead of the older 0.3.0.

Answer
1 month ago

Group Abstract Group Abstract