|
|
24 Replies
|
31 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Mathematica 10.3 Release

In case you missed it, Mathematica 10.3 was just released! This upgrade continues to build out areas first introduced in Version 10, while further refining already best-in-class capabilities. Some notable features include:

• Access to identities and properties of the extensive collection of mathematical functions in the Wolfram Language, via MathematicalFunctionData?

• New geo-computation functionality such as TravelDirections, TravelDistance, and more for computing travel times, methods, and related data?

• New AnatomyData and AnatomicalStructure interpreter types for computation and deployment with connectivity to the Wolfram Cloud?

• Ability to group, copy, and identify specific instances of entities for more automated and efficient computation?

• Support for random matrix distributions and properties of random matrices?

• Comparative operator forms such as GreaterThan, LessThan, and EqualTo for testing expressions?

• Enhanced natural language understanding with added linguistic data for string manipulation of words and alphabets?

• New date and time functionality for representation and handling of time zones?

• Symbolic support for solving partial differential equations and eigenproblems?

• More convenient network programming options for host lookup, IP address representation, and socket connection?

• Improved functionality for processing and analysis of text elements and structure, including definitions, parts of speech, translations, and more?

• New service connection options to GoogleCalendar, GoogleContacts, and Yelp data, as well as to ArXiv and CrossRef for academic research?

• Numerous improvements to core Wolfram Language and Wolfram System interface functionality on the desktop and in the cloud

And if you want to learn more about select new functions in the Wolfram Language and how you can use them, see the Developer Insights on the Wolfram Blog.

24 Replies

Thank's Marvin. And a big thank's to WRI developers to finally taking care of those version 10 regressions in performance. Well done.

POSTED BY: Rolf Mertig

In version 10.3.1 Wolfram research seems to have fixed the regression I noticed while calculating digits of the MRB constant. V10.3.1 is actually a little faster than the pre-10.3 versions in the program I was using.

For the following example I calulate 10,000 and 20,000 digits using the following code

(*Fastest (at MRB's end) as of 24 dEC 2014.*)
prec = 10000;(*Number of required decimals.*)ClearSystemCache[];
T0 = SessionTime[];
expM[pre_] := 
  Module[{a, d, s, k, bb, c, n, end, iprec, xvals, x, pc, cores = 16, 
    tsize = 2^7, chunksize, start = 1, ll, ctab, 
    pr = Floor[1.005 pre]}, chunksize = cores*tsize;
   n = Floor[1.32 pr];
   end = Ceiling[n/chunksize];
   Print["Iterations required: ", n];
   Print["end ", end];
   Print[end*chunksize]; d = Cos[n ArcCos[3]];
   {b, c, s} = {SetPrecision[-1, 1.1*n], -d, 0};
   iprec = Ceiling[pr/27];
   Do[xvals = Flatten[ParallelTable[Table[ll = start + j*tsize + l;
        h = Log[ll]/ll; x = N[Exp[h], iprec];
        pc = iprec;
        While[pc < pr, pc = Min[3 pc, pr];
         x = SetPrecision[x, pc];
         y = x^ll - ll;
         x = x (1 - 2 y/((ll + 1) y + 2 ll ll));];(*N[Exp[Log[ll]/ll],
        pr]*)x, {l, 0, tsize - 1}], {j, 0, cores - 1}, 
       Method -> "EvaluationsPerKernel" -> 4]];
    ctab = ParallelTable[Table[c = b - c;
       ll = start + l - 2;
       b *= 2 (ll + n) (ll - n)/((ll + 1) (2 ll + 1));
       c, {l, chunksize}], Method -> "EvaluationsPerKernel" -> 2];
    s += ctab.(xvals - 1);
    start += chunksize;
    Print["done iter ", k*chunksize, " ", SessionTime[] - T0];, {k, 0,
      end - 1}];
   N[-s/d, pr]];
t2 = Timing[MRBtest2 = expM[prec];]; MRBtest2

I tested V9.0,10.0,10,1,10,2, 10.3 and now 10.3.1, with each one running without any of the others being open, and recorded the best out of the first three tries:

10,000 digits (prec=10000)

V9.0
11.9373778 sec

V10.0
10.9894860 sec

V10.1
10.4070760 sec

V10.2
10.7357446 sec

V10.3
28.4373030 sec

V10.3.1

20,000 digits (prec=20000)

V9.0
55.6419174 sec

V10.0
49.0587499 sec

V10.1
48.2027381 sec

V10.2
48.2796596 sec

V10.3
111.9064210 sec

v10.3.1
POSTED BY: Marvin Ray Burns
Posted 9 years ago

Hi,

Might I ask whether the bug I remarked in my post

"Graphs with multiple edges and problems with edges layouts and colouring"

has been solved in the new v10.3?

My understanding is that the posted issue is clearly a bug.

From the documentation in the Help, it can be understood that everything valid for an edge of a graph is also valid for all edges; there is no documented warning for any exception. So it may be considered a bug since some features either work or not depending on varying conditions and this is not documented. I would need the full feature available and if the answer is affirmative I would upgrade.

P.S.

Is there any way to insert links to other posts?

POSTED BY: E Martin

No, unfortunately it hasn't.

In general, it doesn't seem to be possible to assign different properties to multiple edges running between the same vertices (regardless of what properties we're looking at, edge style, edge weight, custom properties or something else).

Given the design of Graph, I really wonder how this will get fixed without major breaking changes. In Mathematica edges are referred to by their endpoints. There is no way to distinguish parallel edges when referring to them this way. Which edge is SetProperty[{g, 1<->2}, ...] going to change? But let us trust in the resourcefulness of Wolfram developers.

Related:

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/74125/color-edges-of-a-multigraph-when-there-are-parallel-edges-using-graph-and-edge

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/92014/issues-adding-properties-to-multigraph

http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/92360/graphdistance-gives-incorrect-result-in-weighted-multigraph

You can link to other posts the same way as linking to any other website. Just paste the URL or use the link button in the toolbar.

POSTED BY: Szabolcs Horvát
Posted 9 years ago

Szabolcs, thanks for your reply.

Yes, it seems that Wolfram has made a sound mistake on the very roots of the definition of the Mathaematica ‘Graph’ tool.

However, I gather from the appreciated, and smart, reply by Jaebum Jung in

http://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/603839?ppauth=qNrI6umO

that there would be a way out to the issue without need to expect a redefinition of the foundations of the concept.

In that direction, I wonder whether WRI could (or actually should) provide a free patch under the form of a package including a set of routines for the missing properties of the graphs with duplicated edges. After all, it is a latent or hidden vicious of the product, rather than an inadvertent mistake on a lateral or minor thing made by the designers.

For example, along with the available standard set of edges provided by ‘EdgeIndex’ (which 'ignores' the duplicated edges), a possible solution could be a standard package providing another internal or parallel an different index associated to the positions of the whole edges in the ‘EdgesList’). Solving the problem depicted in the image below (part of the notebook I attached in the link above)

There is no distinction between the first "M" \[DirectedEdge] "V" (in 'edgesRed') and the last  "M" \[DirectedEdge] "V" (in 'edgesPurple'). They carry the same name because they connect the same pair of vertices but they are in different contexts and are different objects.

(* edge indices of 'MVPQGraph' *)

ei = EdgeIndex[MVPQGraph, #] & /@ EdgeList[MVPQGraph]

{1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 3, 4, 13, 7, 10, 5}

(* position edge indices *)

pei = Flatten[Position[EdgeList[MVPQGraph], #] & /@ EdgeList[MVPQGraph]]

{1, 2, 3, 11, 4, 12, 5, 16, 6, 7, 14, 8, 9, 10, 15, 3, 11, 4, 12, 13, 7, 14, 10, 15, 5, 16}

The sophisticated solution proposed by Jaebum seems to set the way. I haven’t explored it in depth yet, but, in any a case it is too tricky for being of any use for the common Mathematica user or even for the advanced: I guess the Mathematica is a tool not an end for most of us.

It is my view in case it be of any use for the Community.

Martin.

POSTED BY: E Martin
Posted 9 years ago

Is anyone else having a delay in the 10.0.3 showing up in their registered products? For some reason my available download is still 10.0.2 for all OS types. I have a full (desktop) Mathematica home license.

POSTED BY: Lenny Johnson

Hi Lenny, Did you pay for the 10.3 upgrade. The 10.x upgrades are not for free (only the 10.2x in your case). If you did I would contact wolfram support.

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Posted 9 years ago

No I have not paid for any "minor" upgrades. I thought that you only had to pay for major updates EG Mathematica 9 to 10 (Which I did pay for the upgrade). I was under the assumption that after paying for Mathematica 10 I would get all 10.xx updates for free. Looking at my account I do not see any option to actually pay for minor updates.

Posted 9 years ago

Going to the actual Wolfram store and choosing upgrade allows me to enter my activation key which does give me the option to upgrade to Mathematica 10.3. That clears that up :)

@Daniel Lichtblau I found a small error in the documentation of ImagePartition. In the "Details and Options" section of the help.

In the online version it says:

Hold[Transmogrify`Private`MakeItSo[Evaluate[SelectChildren[][[1]]]]]

In the desktop version it shows a red error box.

Something went wrong during the inclusion of the new UpTo command in the documentation.

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

You can report documentation problems online at the bottom of each page. In my experience, most things I report do tend to get corrected eventually, so I believe someone at WRI does read these reports.

I didn't know about that button, thanks for pointing out!

Sorry, at the bottom of what page?

POSTED BY: Tomas Garza

At the bottom of any Documentation page e.g.: https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/ImagePartition.html

there is a button Give Feedback.

Thanks a lot. I was looking for it in the Online Help.

-Tomas

POSTED BY: Tomas Garza

Liking all the improvements, when trying to break new speed records in the calculating digits of the MRB constant, I was disappointed in the speed of V10.3. Has anyone else noticed a slowdown? For the following example I calulate 10,000 and 20,000 digits using the following code

(*Fastest (at MRB's end) as of 24 dEC 2014.*)
prec = 10000;(*Number of required decimals.*)ClearSystemCache[];
T0 = SessionTime[];
expM[pre_] := 
  Module[{a, d, s, k, bb, c, n, end, iprec, xvals, x, pc, cores = 16, 
    tsize = 2^7, chunksize, start = 1, ll, ctab, 
    pr = Floor[1.005 pre]}, chunksize = cores*tsize;
   n = Floor[1.32 pr];
   end = Ceiling[n/chunksize];
   Print["Iterations required: ", n];
   Print["end ", end];
   Print[end*chunksize]; d = Cos[n ArcCos[3]];
   {b, c, s} = {SetPrecision[-1, 1.1*n], -d, 0};
   iprec = Ceiling[pr/27];
   Do[xvals = Flatten[ParallelTable[Table[ll = start + j*tsize + l;
        h = Log[ll]/ll; x = N[Exp[h], iprec];
        pc = iprec;
        While[pc < pr, pc = Min[3 pc, pr];
         x = SetPrecision[x, pc];
         y = x^ll - ll;
         x = x (1 - 2 y/((ll + 1) y + 2 ll ll));];(*N[Exp[Log[ll]/ll],
        pr]*)x, {l, 0, tsize - 1}], {j, 0, cores - 1}, 
       Method -> "EvaluationsPerKernel" -> 4]];
    ctab = ParallelTable[Table[c = b - c;
       ll = start + l - 2;
       b *= 2 (ll + n) (ll - n)/((ll + 1) (2 ll + 1));
       c, {l, chunksize}], Method -> "EvaluationsPerKernel" -> 2];
    s += ctab.(xvals - 1);
    start += chunksize;
    Print["done iter ", k*chunksize, " ", SessionTime[] - T0];, {k, 0,
      end - 1}];
   N[-s/d, pr]];
t2 = Timing[MRBtest2 = expM[prec];]; MRBtest2

I tested V9.0,10.0,10,1,10,2, and 10.3, with each one running without any of the others being open, and recorded the best out of the first three tries:

10,000 digits (prec=10000)

V9.0
11.9373778 sec

V10.0
10.9894860 sec

V10.1
10.4070760 sec

V10.2
10.7357446 sec

V10.3
28.4373030 sec

20,000 digits (prec=20000)

V9.0
55.6419174 sec

V10.0
49.0587499 sec

V10.1
48.2027381 sec

V10.2
48.2796596 sec

V10.3
111.9064210 sec

Version 10.1 seemed to be the fastest, but I've found that 10.2 catches up to 10.1 in larger calculations. However, it looks like 10.3 is a lost cause for this program!

The one command program,

Timing[N[Sum[(-1)^n (n^(1/n) - 1), {n, 1, Infinity}, 
   Method -> "AlternatingSigns"], 3000]]

is just a little slower in 10.3. It could be that about each and every command is just a little bit slower in 10.3 than in those other recent releases.

POSTED BY: Marvin Ray Burns

I cannot replicate the slowdown timings. You might want to check that the parallel kernels are actually launching and running.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

I can replicate the slowdown on OS X, M10.3, 4-core i7 processor (MacBook Pro). It's also good to note that Timing doesn't measure time used by the parallel kernels (AbsoluteTiming does). I didn't try to isolate the slowdown ...

enter image description here

Thanks. We have now replicated the slowdown and a bug report has been filed.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau

I didn't pay much attention to this thread originally, but now I see the parallelization performance problem come up in other contexts. Is there any chance this will get fixed somehow before the next major Mathematica version (10.4 or 11)?

It was the issue, many thanks, David. By the way, I can have code captions e.g. in French, in Russian as well as in Chinese language flavours, even in Portuguese, but not yet in Italian :-)

POSTED BY: Udo Krause

Udo, perhaps uncheck the "Show Code Captions" checkbox in the first panel of the preferences?

POSTED BY: David Reiss

Note that I have no idea if this is the issue... but it's the only thing I can find that may relate to your issue.

POSTED BY: David Reiss

Opening an older notebook, Mathematica 10.3.0 -- thank you all over there for the work with it -- says it will convert it to new default styling. The result is

a thouroghly commented code - what the heck? Only half of the code is visible now, the rest let us know that e.g. in German a SparseArray can be denoted as dünnbelegtes Feld ... how can this be undone and banned that it never never happens again? If this feature should make any sense, then I want to see the comments in Italian to learn it a little bit .... oh no Santa Maria.

POSTED BY: Udo Krause
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract