|
8 Replies
|
28 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[GIF] Enneper surface + an introduction

8 Replies

This is very beautiful, thank you for sharing ! I love your choice of the colors for the background and the surface? What is your process of choosing colors for your GIFs?

BTW in Wolfram Language there is built-in way of conversion hexadecimal to RGB color. I think people tend to miss it because it is in the details section on RGBColor function:

enter image description here

So your code would work the same way with RGBColor["#d5f26d"] and RGBColor["#1f2947"]. I have also noticed that broken surface animated with some delay makes a beautiful visual too:

Enneper[u_, v_, ?_] := Re[E^(I ?) {z - z^3/3, I z + I z^3/3, z^2} /. z -> u + I v]

Manipulate[Graphics3D[{RGBColor["#d5f26d"], Thickness[.003], 
   Line[Table[Enneper[u, v, ?], {u, -3/2, 3/2, 1/5}, {v, -3/2, 3/2, 1/20}]], 
   Line[Table[Enneper[u, v, ? + Pi], {v, -3/2, 3/2, 1/5}, {u, -3/2, 3/2, 1/20}]]}, 
  PlotRange -> 4.5, ViewPoint -> Top, Boxed -> False, Axes -> None, 
  Background -> RGBColor["#1f2947"], ImageSize -> 540, ViewAngle -> .47],
 {?, 0, 2 ?}]

enter image description here

But I think my GIF is more aliased and jumpy, - do you have some special settings for Export ? I think you might be exporting to lossless PNGs and assembling the GIF in another software, or something like that?

POSTED BY: Marina Shchitova

I didn't know about the built-in hex input, I made functions similar to the one Clayton posted many many times! Thanks for pointing it out!

Edit: I see now that it is a 10.1 update, so it is actually quite new!

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

This is very beautiful, thank you for sharing ! I love your choice of the colors for the background and the surface? What is your process of choosing colors for your GIFs?

I mostly just look for color palettes from the web. For example, lately I've been using Adobe Color, Swiss Style Color Picker, and especially Design Seeds quite a bit.

So your code would work the same way with RGBColor["#d5f26d"] and RGBColor["#1f2947"].

Okay, now I feel stupid, but that's exactly what I wanted. Thank you!

But I think my GIF is more aliased and jumpy, - do you have some special settings for Export ? I think you might be exporting to lossless PNGs and assembling the GIF in another software, or something like that?

I used to always complain to people that Mathematica's 3D graphics weren't antialiased and that I had to export at super-high resolutions and then resize in a photo editing program to get smooth 3D images...and then I discovered this setting:

Antialising Quality setting

Once I turned the quality all the way up, I didn't have to do anything special to export nice-looking, antialiased 3D graphics anymore.

I actually do export directly to GIF, but I usually use "DisplayDurations"->{1/24} or "DisplayDurations"->{1/30} in Export to get smoother animations. So, for example, the actual code I used to produce the GIF I posted above is:

Export[NotebookDirectory[] <> "enneper.gif", enneper, 
 "DisplayDurations" -> {1/30}]
Posted 9 years ago

Very neat. I am looking forward to future contributions!

POSTED BY: Kyle Martin
Posted 9 years ago

Very nicely done! (Nice enough to make me delurk. ;) ) Please allow me to tweak things slightly:

(* adapted from http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/a/18506 *)
hexToRGB = RGBColor @@ (IntegerDigits[FromDigits[StringReplace[#, "#" -> ""], 16], 256, 3]/255.) &;

(* from http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/a/200 *)
antialias[g_, n_: 3] := ImageResize[Rasterize[g, "Image", ImageResolution -> n 72], Scaled[1/n]]

enneper[u_, v_, ?_] = ComplexExpand[With[{z = u + I v}, Re[Exp[I ?] {z - z^3/3, I z + I z^3/3, z^2}]],
                                    TargetFunctions -> {Re, Im}];

frames = Table[antialias[ParametricPlot3D[enneper[u, v, ?], {u, -3/2, 3/2}, {v, -3/2, 3/2},
                                          Axes -> None, Background -> hexToRGB["1f2947"], Boxed -> False,
                                          BoundaryStyle -> Directive[AbsoluteThickness[1], hexToRGB["d5f26d"]],
                                          Mesh -> 14, MeshStyle -> Directive[AbsoluteThickness[1], hexToRGB["d5f26d"]],
                                          PlotRange -> 4.5, PlotStyle -> None]],
                {?, 0, 2 ?, 2 ?/30}];

Export["enneper.gif", frames, AnimationRepetitions -> ?, "DisplayDurations" -> 1./20];

a flipping minimal surface is what it is

POSTED BY: J. M.

Oh wow, I never looked at it from the default viewpoint (I'd already changed to the front view before I switched from rendering the whole surface to just showing the mesh). Very cool!

This viewpoint is even nicer! Look at the posts above, your hexToRGB["d5f26d"] can be replaced by RGBColor["#d5f26d"]

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Posted 9 years ago

Hello Sander, I'm aware of the new functionality in RGBColor[]; nevertheless, I elected to use what I used to have code that will work in earlier versions. In any case, it is straightforward to modify my code to use the new method. ;)

POSTED BY: J. M.
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract