|
17 Replies
|
11 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Inverse Of Gamma Function?

Posted 8 years ago

Exact Inverse of (gamma function) = ? --------------> for example: Exact Inverse of (?x) = x²

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Mohamad Fard
17 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

Might we suggest the inverse of Stirling's Approximation? Assuming the isolation of the domain ( x ) of Stirling's Approximation for n! always has a fixed point x_k, for all independently chosen range values ( y ), this isolation is a function f(x) and if function f is composed infinitely for y is a member of the set of real numbers and x is a member of the set of real numbers, then the infinite composition is the inverse of Stirling's Approximation for n!

POSTED BY: T.A. H.

closest to an exact inverse is

https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/InverseGammaRegularized.html

which only gives exact results for some arguments, according to the documentation

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Posted 8 years ago

thanks a lot. sometimes IGR doesn't match IG As you know. what should I do?

There isn't really anything I guess as it is multivalued as you can see...

--SH

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Posted 8 years ago

It was just an example to summarize. surely it is invertible, isn't it?

well, it IS invertible. But like x^2 => sqrt(x), you have to decide what to do for multiple values:

should it return +3 or -3? when one asks for x=9. Well this is by default +3 in Mathematica, you can imagine that this 'choice' becomes much more tricky with the Gamma function...

What should InverseGamma[4] return? You have to decide which one to return; I see like 6 possible values in your plot...

Posted 8 years ago

thanks a lot. as you know ? is an extension of ! . for x Real ? 1 => x!=y => x=(x!)?¹ = x(y) = ?

Numerically you could write a function something like:

ClearAll[InverseGamma]
InverseGamma[x_?NumericQ]:=Module[{start,y},
    If[Head[x]=!=Complex,
        If[x>0.88561,
            start=(-1+2 Log[x]-Log[2 \[Pi]])/(2 ProductLog[(-1+2 Log[x]-Log[2 \[Pi]])/(2 E)])+1-1/4;
            Chop[y/.FindRoot[Gamma[y]==x,{y,start}]]
            Missing[]
            Missing[]
        ]
        Missing[]
    ]
]

Show[{ParametricPlot[{Gamma[x], x}, {x, 1, 4}, PlotStyle -> Red],Plot[InverseGamma[x], {x, 0.88, 5}]}]

enter image description here

Of course this is not very fast but works reasonably for real numbers above 0.89. And good guess for the starting position of FindRoot helps a lot...

Posted 8 years ago

I humbly thank you. what is the mathematical formula for your Numerical approach? e.g ?

Attachments:

It will just find the root of the the equation Gamma[x]==y, so no mathematical formula. It will find it exactly but not using 'elementary' mathematical functions.

The starting point of the root-finding (which is what I do), can be neatly done by solving the Stirling approximation:

x == n! ~~ (2 Pi n)^0.5 (n/E)^n = (2 Pi)^0.5 (n/e)^n n^0.5 = (2 Pi)^0.5 (n/e)^n (n/E)^0.5 E^0.5 = (2 Pi E)^0.5 (n/e)^(n+0.5)

which can be solved approximately using PowerLog (LambertW function). This gives a good starting point.

If you want a Taylor series, you can just simply use:

Normal[InverseSeries[Series[Gamma[x], {x, 4.0, 10}]]]
Plot[%, {x, 1, 10}]

Where the expansion is around 4, with 10 terms.

Posted 8 years ago

I’m sorry to have troubled you . Please Kindly find the files attached. is it exact?

Attachments:

no

Posted 8 years ago

please help me

1. N
  2. dn
Attachments:
Posted 8 years ago
Attachments:
Posted 8 years ago

?(x) = digamma function = ?'/ ? , ?? = (positive zero of ?) - 1 , ??= ??!

Posted 8 years ago

It was just an example to summarize. surely it is invertible, isn't it?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract