User Portlet User Portlet

Monica Linden
Monica Linden
Brown University
BLOG: Not indicated
INTERESTS IN JOBS & NETWORKING:
Collaboration Consulting Volunteering Networking
ABOUT ME:

I enjoy teaching exciting facts about the nervous system to interested students! I teach a variety of courses including the large, intermediate-level course Neural Systems, a medium sized junior/senior level learning and memory course, and smaller seminars on brain regions and neural data analysis. I also co-created the Coursera Course: Exploring Neural Data.

As an instructor, I am always interested in learning about new ideas to try. I am constantly working to improve pedagogy in my classroom. I use technologies including iClickers, online assignments, eBooks, and computer-based assessments to enhance student learning. I encourage a reflective approach to learning. I perform research in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning to formally assess my learning methods.

I am also a member of Brown's Contemplative Studies Initiative. I am interested in a contemplative approach to teaching as well as contemplative pedagogy for the classroom.

My training focused on plasticity in the visual system, using extracellular recording methods in awake rodents. Since I began teaching neuroscience, I have also enjoyed bringing elements of my computational background into the classroom.

I am also currently running for elected office. I am running for School Committee in Franklin, MA. I have completed the Emerge MA training program to help me run for office. Furthermore, I advocate for policy on the national level as an Early Career Policy Ambassador for the Society for Neuroscience.