User Portlet User Portlet

Alison Ord
The University of Western Australia
BLOG: Not indicated
INTERESTS IN JOBS & NETWORKING: Not indicated
ABOUT ME:

Research Interests I apply the tools of non-linear dynamics to improving our understanding of structural geology, deforming metamorphic rocks and mineralising systems. My interests are in the integration of the best and most up-to-date physics, chemistry and mathematics in providing solutions, particularly through computational modelling, to critical issues in geology. Presently, I applying the tools developed for nonlinear dynamical systems, particularly multifractal analysis and recurrence plots, to large data sets on alteration assemblages, deformation and mineralisation in mineralising systems in order to quantify and fingerprint various classes of hydrothermal mineralising systems. My goal is to develop a new paradigm for mineral exploration based on nonlinear dynamics.

Biography I received a BSc in geology from the University of Edinburgh in 1977 and a PhD from the University of California at Los Angeles in 1981. I came to Australia as a post-doctoral research fellow to work on the effects of point defect chemistry on the strength of quartz at Monash University after completing a PhD involving transmission electron microscopy of deformed quartz. I joined the CSIRO Division of Geomechanics in 1984 where I learnt about bifurcations, instabilities and localisation of deformation; fragmentation and jointing; computational modelling of coupled deformation-fluid flow-heat transport-chemical reactions; and their application for industry. I joined the University of Western Australia in 2011, being immediately involved in multiscale dynamics and ore deposits.