User Portlet User Portlet

Stephen DeCanio
Stephen DeCanio
University of California, Santa Barbara (Emeritus)
BLOG: Not indicated
INTERESTS IN JOBS & NETWORKING: Not indicated
ABOUT ME:

My current research interests include Artificial Intelligence, philosophy of the social sciences, and the economics of climate change.

Several years ago I examined the consequences of computational limits for economics and social theory in Limits of Economic and Social Knowledge (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013). Over the course of my academic career I have worked in the fields of global environmental protection, the theory of the firm, and economic history. I have written about both the contributions and misuse of economics for long-run policy issues such as climate change and stratospheric ozone layer protection. An earlier book, Economic Models of Climate Change: A Critique (Palgrave Macmillan, 2003), discussed the problems with conventional general equilibrium models applied to climate policy.

From 1986 to 1987 I served as Senior Staff Economist at the President’s Council of Economic Advisers. I have been a member of the United Nations Environment Programme’s Economic Options Panel, which reviewed the economic aspects of the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer, and I served as Co-Chair of the Montreal Protocol’s Agricultural Economics Task Force of the Technical and Economics Assessment Panel. I participated in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change that shared the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize, and was a recipient of the Leontief Prize for Advancing the Frontiers of Economic Thought in 2007. In 1996 I was honored with a Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award, and in 2007 a “Best of the Best” Stratospheric Ozone Protection Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. I served as Director of the UCSB Washington Program from 2004 to 2009.

My home is in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and I can be reached most easily by email at stephen.decanio@gmail.com.