User Portlet User Portlet

Tomas Zdrahal
Tomas Zdrahal
Palacky University Olomouc, Czech Republic
BLOG: Not indicated
INTERESTS IN JOBS & NETWORKING:
Employment Collaboration Consulting Volunteering Internships Meet ups Mentorships Networking
ABOUT ME:

I graduated from the Faculty of Science at Palacky University Olomouc, Czech Republic in the study program Mathematics, Numerical Methods in Mathematics. At the present time I work at the Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Education at Palacky University and additionally part-time at the Institute of Machines and Power Engineering, Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at Purkyne University Usti and Labem, Czech Republic. I am a member of the Union of Czech Mathematicians and Physicists – state organization that works on the curriculum of school mathematics. I was on the position of the Vice-Rector for study affairs at the Purkyne University and afterwards on the position of the Vice-Dean for science at the Faculty of Education at Purkyne University some years ago. I specialize beside the theory of functional equations (I wrote several monographs on functional equations) also in the field of the didactics of mathematics, especially I am interested in the mathematical problem solving. I have been involved in many international research grants concern with problem solving and then I found the excellent book “The Math(s)Fix: An Education Blueprint for the AI Age” by Conrad Wolfram. This book is about his mathematical education experience and is focused on his belief that math education is experiencing a crisis and he presents ideas for how educators can go about fixing it. He suggests bringing computational thinking and computation technology into the classroom. This is exactly what I felt in my role as a university teacher of mathematics in the last 30 years, but it was not until Conrad Wolfram’s book was the inspiration that I and my colleagues, David Nocar and Jiri Vasko, from the Department of Mathematics at Palacky University began to devote intensively to computer-based mathematics and thus became members of the Wolfram Community. Thank you so much for welcoming us!