User Portlet User Portlet

Paul Borrill
Paul Borrill
Daedaelus Corporation
BLOG: Not indicated
INTERESTS IN JOBS & NETWORKING: Not indicated
ABOUT ME:

I’m not a professional mathematician or physicist. I’m an engineer/entrepreneur building a software infrastructure company in Silicon Valley based on algorithms whose assumptions about causality go beyond Newtonian and Minkowski spacetime. Our product is a new protocol based on FPGA’s that addresses fundamental problems in distributed systems.

We use Mathematica to design and verify systems of multiway rewriting rules that compile to LLVM/Verilog so they can be executed on Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs).

Maintaining liveness and synchronizing software processes in network channels is a perennial challenge when packets can be dropped, reordered, duplicated or delayed. Conventional switched networks require protocol stacks and applications to use timeouts and retries to maintain liveness. This makes exactly-once semantics impossible and precipitates retry storms which lead to unbounded tail latency and transaction failure.

Our proposed solution is 'network automata' (near neighbors, simple rules, with an 'active' link morphism). We employ individual direct channels with the Stop and Wait (SAW) protocol to maintain flow control, Colored Petri Nets for conserved quantities, and the Spekkens’ Toy Model (STM) to manage epistricted consistency for distributed metadata.

You could say, we are a 'Quantum Inspired' protocol. But it would be more accurate to say that we use multi-computation to solve event order problems when failures (or 'ordering consistency incompatibilities') occur in distributed systems.

I’m also the founder of the Clubhouse Room: `It’s About Time'. A place to discuss our evolving knowledge of the nature of time and causality. For physicists, mathematicians, computer scientists, neuroscientists, philosophers and practicing engineers.