User Portlet User Portlet

Marc Schofield
Not indicated
BLOG: Not indicated
INTERESTS IN JOBS & NETWORKING: Not indicated
ABOUT ME:

I am a private researcher and my own teacher, working at home with no pay grade to worry about and reading at the Lit and Phil Library. Self-teaching is not meant to be a comment on secular education at all, my learning is often disordered and chaotic to start with and I attempt to wrangle it into something tangible and hopefully useful at some point. I used to write with all abandon, these days I try to read more than I write.

My main focus at this time is infinite continued fractions with periodic patterns. I'll be posting a question about this shortly. I've been getting better at asking questions without getting into trouble. I hope I've learned never to make math memes again.

My goal is to one day be able to model my flux capacitor properly, and to be in a position to successfully suggest methane is most definitely Not tetrahedral. I was being quiet about this, lest I convey my crankiness before anything potentially useful I might have to shout into the void, but then I found a willow leaf fused into the shape of a tetrahedron, and it was in no way volatile.

As immature as this may sound, as all of it might sound, I mistrust any function that is not injective with its inverse function, starting with sqrt(x). A butterfly can be affected by a typhoon as much as it might start one.

Then there's chaos. As I continue to try to abandon chaos from my activities and thoughts, I tell myself something my dad said about me applies to everything:

Any system (myself included) can rationalise its own [bad] behaviour, you just need to work out how to ask it. If you asked a sentient tree why it had grown all gnarly, it might commence "well, back in October '75 there was this wicked frost..." I do not think that complex numbers have necessarily always been giving us salient answers to the insane questions we ask of them, but I've much more work to do on such notions.

Talking of asking questions, if you want to ask WolframAlpha about its fidelity, ask it cot(acot(1))-acot(cot(1)) but don't press enter. If you want to ask it about the infinite continued fraction x={0;(a,b,c,d,f)_}, well, I'll get to that in my post later on.