Message Boards Message Boards

Simulate a full car model in SystemModeler?

Good day, I am a PG scholar carrying out project work in the area of vehicular vibration.I have the same doubt as ours.I would like to know is there any tutorial to solve/simulate Full car model. I have simulated half car model before. So i would like to know "how a full car mode be solved?" as it involves moments as well.

POSTED BY: Saravanan N
4 Replies

Saravanan,

SystemModeler is good at this type of simulation. You have two choices -- you can model it with built-in Modelica mechanical components or you can use the Modelica Multibody library which has the added advantage of giving you a 3D animation in addition to plotting any variables. The Multibody approach is a bit more difficult to deal with the coordinate system but once you get it together, it works well. I have attached an animation of a stand that we constructed a few months ago as an example because it is close to what you are trying to do. I think it shows that you can make your model. Here is a still image of the attached animation:

initial image

Here is the stand deflected by the Force (green Arrow).

enter image description here

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Hello Sir, I have included full car model herewith and it is for a tractor .My full car model is with respect to car suspension and drive train is ignored.In this full car model i consider vertical,pitch and roll vibrations.So i would like to know what the response will be for each mass if a periodic excitation is given to the wheels.enter image description here

POSTED BY: Saravanan N

Hi, Saravanan

Can you be a bit more specific on what you want to be included in this full car simulation of yours? The motor, gearbox and driveline etc? Or just the car suspension?

On the SystemModeler website, there are many downloadable models concerning automotive applications. You will find them under Automotive & Transportation.

The if the motor and gearbox are of interest, the example called "Driveline" could be of interest to you. There is also a model dealing purely with suspension, comparing acitve and passive suspensions.

POSTED BY: Patrik Ekenberg

Hello Saravan,

What half car model have you been simulating before? Is this some example from this website?

I would need more details on what exactly a half car and "full car" model means in respect to modeling. Is the driveline, suspension, wheels included or not? If you link to the model you are mentioning (or just attach them to the community post answer) I might be able to help you further.

POSTED BY: Markus Dahl
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract