Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
0 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Looking for math students - can you help?

Posted 7 years ago

Hello All

I’ll be brief - I am looking for math students to teach. I’m hoping that you can help spread the word. The course would be online and will start in September. (And, of course, I am doing this for my own interest and there is no fee.)

I am a teacher with over twenty years of teaching high school math. I have developed a new math curriculum based on the ideas and precepts of “Computer Based Math” (CBM). You can watch a great short video by Conrad Wolfram describing CBM here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60OVlfAUPJg

The basic idea is that math teaching has not evolved much in the last 100 years. In fact, the main emphasis, in nearly all schools, is the teaching of symbolic manipulation (solving for x). The irony is that this is the one and only thing that computers can do better than humans. We should have our students analyzing solutions, proposing methods of solution, analyzing results, and applying knowledge to new and difficult problems.

I have developed a curriculum that shifts the paradigm from solving for x to big and complex thinking.

I am looking for three to five students who would like to learn math the way it is really used by mathematicians, scientists, and engineers. I will work with these students personally each day.

If you have such a student in mind, please contact me at: markstevenlawton@gmail.com

All students should be Algebra I ready.

Please feel to read all about me at www.markslawton.com

Thank You,

Mark Lawton

Educator

POSTED BY: Mark Lawton
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract