Message Boards Message Boards

Download Mathematica documentation in local

Posted 7 years ago

I just installed a raspberry pi in my lab, where I use it insulated from the network. Since I find the use of Mathematica priceless, I wanted to know if it is possible to have access to the documentation in local: I read different estimates on the size of reference.wolfram.com/language - between 200MB and 1.5GB - but in any case well inside the space available to modern SD cards.

First question: can I simply wget reference.wolfram.com/language, or is it considered bad form since it hammers the website?

Second, I read somewhere that somebody tried it already and the docs are perfectly accessible - save for the search function. Do you know if this is the case, and if it is possible to recover that functionality?

thanks for the help

alessandro

POSTED BY: alexxx Magni
2 Replies
Posted 7 years ago

well, we have the license in the institute where I work, so that is not a problem...

I must say that I seriously under-estimated the space required:

# du -h -d 1 /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/11.1/Documentation/English/
221M    /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/11.1/Documentation/English/Index
77M     /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/11.1/Documentation/English/SpellIndex
4.4G    /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/11.1/Documentation/English/System
76M     /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/11.1/Documentation/English/Packages
4.7G    /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/11.1/Documentation/English/

I still do not have any idea how to open it from my raspberry however: the index dir contains just these 3 files...

# ls /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/11.1/Documentation/English/Index/
_d.cfs  segments.gen  segments_t

and the links between help pages do not work, reporting not found on links of this kind: paclet:ref/<function name>

POSTED BY: alexxx Magni

If you have Mathematica, it is just stored as a bunch of notebooks in the directory (on mac):

"/Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/Documentation/English/"

Just run NotebookDirectory[] in the documentation to find out the location of the notebooks.

I'm not sure if it is allowed to share these though; on one hand Mathematica surely has copyright, on the other hand the documentation is also freely available onlineĀ…

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract