Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

[?] Why does "1 per week" not correctly handled with "1 month"?

Posted 4 years ago
|
3 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
|

I want to use this function to express that the number of event managers acquired is growing 1 per week. If you look at my evaluation result mathematica does what I like to express.

growtheventmanager[number_, pertime_] := number / pertime
growtheventmanager[1, Quantity[1, "Week"]]
Out[1]=1 per week

Next I want to calculate the number of event managers after 4 weeks. The calculation is done like expected.

Quantity[4, "Week"] * growtheventmanager[1, Quantity[1, "Week"]]
Out[2]=4

Next i tried what happens if trust Mathematicas ability to handle Units correctly.

Quantity[1, "Month"] * growtheventmanager[1, Quantity[1, "Week"]]
Out[3]=365/84

I have no idea what this is all about? Do you have an idea?

3 Replies

This result seems correct to me. Your calculation is basically asking for how many weeks in a month:

Quantity[1, "Month"]/Quantity[1, "Week"]

Since both of these have a dimension of time, we expect their ratio should be dimensionless. Additionally, we expect that the result should be around 4. More specifically, it should be close to 52/12 since there are 52 weeks in a year and 12 months in a year. Mathematica returns a result that's consistent with all of these.

What kind of result were you expecting from the calculation above? There's probably a different way of doing it.

Posted 4 years ago

Dear Sean,

thanks for helping!

Quantity[1, "Week"] / Quantity[1, "Day"]

evaluates to 7. Why does

Quantity[1, "Month"] / Quantity[1, "Week"]

not evaluate to 4 with respect to the above. I want to do calculations where I just enter growth like 8 per month or 100 per year and are able to compute the count in a weekly base.

There are very clearly 7 days in a week by its definition. There are 12 months in a year. If we said there were 4 weeks in a month, then the unit system would claim that there are 7 * 4 * 12 = 336 days in a year. So we can't do that.

I suppose you could create your own Units with different names like "SimplifiedDay", "SimplifiedWeek", "SimplifiedYear". But that might be a fair amount of work and not worth it.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract