Message Boards Message Boards

Maximize function using some server (my pc is too slow)?

Posted 7 years ago

I need to execute a code that runs a maximize function built-in function with symbolic variables. The problem is that my computer has not enough memory (has 4 GB of RAM) and flops. Have you any idea how can I execute this code in some cloud in reference of your experience? I was thinking about Amazon AWS but I don't know if is a good solution because of I don't know if having more cores maximize function will work faster or having more ram the computation are faster too. Any suggest?

The code is the following:

d=((1-z*(1-x))*p*a-(q+b)*(y*x*z*p*a+r+w))/(2*c*w*(y*x*z*p*a+r+w))
v=((1-z*(1-x))*p*a*d-(q+b)*w*d-c*w^2*d^2)/r+((1-z*(1-x))(k-d))/(r+w)
Maximize[{v,0<=z<=1,x>=0,p>0,a>0,a*p<1,q>0,b>0,b+q>=1,0<=w<=r,0<=r<=1,c>0,k>0,(1-z*(1-x))*p*a-(q+b)*(y*x*z*p*a+r+w)>0},x]
2 Replies

Alessandro,

I was able to get an answer quickly from doing this:

ans = Solve[D[v, x] == 0, x]
final = Assuming[{0 <= z <= 1, x >= 0, p > 0, a > 0, a*p < 1, q > 0, 
   b > 0, b + q >= 1, 0 <= w <= r, 0 <= r <= 1, c > 0, 
   k > 0, (1 - z*(1 - x))*p*a - (q + b)*(y*x*z*p*a + r + w) > 0}, 
  Refine[ans]]

I am not sure the Assuming changed anything because I still got three solutions for x and I doubt all three are maximums, but by looking at the solutions you will likely be able to add some constraints or get more insight into your problem. Maybe you should do a Simplify instead of Refine in the Assuming and go out for coffee -- it might make it easier to analyze.

I hope this helps.

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 7 years ago

I haven't looked at your problem so have no idea if there's an error in it, if it's 2D 3D or how many linear equatios might be involved.

You might try wolfram alpha, i'd guess it will quit if it does, or give your answer if "mikey likes it".

IBM has a mainframe (big blue?) which hosts scientifiic projects needing "more computation", and open offer to the public to sign up and use it without charge, if the project has any merit. But their OS runs OSes, you have to upload an OS, math software, and your project and run it (everything that is needed). They may have default OS image but won't have Mathematica and maybe not an OS that runs your version of Mathematica. You'd likely run mathscript not front-end / gui. You'd also have to have a license code to run it. All of that is deleted at the end of the IBM session.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract