Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
6 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Understand normalized squared euclidean distance?

Posted 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I try to understand the normalized squared euclidean distance formula from Wolfram documentation:

1/2*Norm[(u-Mean[u])-(v-Mean[v])]^2/(Norm[u-Mean[u]]^2+Norm[v-Mean[v]]^2)

I searched this formula on web but I did not found that anywhere. Someone can explain me how this formula is derived?

POSTED BY: Luca Zenesini
6 Replies

Note that it is a DistanceFunction option for ImageDistance. Maybe that helps some to see the context where it is used.

The relation to SquaredEuclideanDistance is:

NormalizedSquaredEuclideanDistance[x, y] ==
   (1/2) SquaredEuclideanDistance[x - Mean[x], y - Mean[y]]/
      (Norm[x - Mean[x]]^2 + Norm[y - Mean[y]]^2) 

So we see it is "normalized" "squared euclidean distance" between the "difference of each vector with its mean". I guess that was too long for a function name.. In any case the note under properties and relations ".. includes a squared Euclidean distance scaled by norms" makes little sense.

POSTED BY: george jefferson
Posted 7 years ago

Thanks for your reply, your definition of the formula has perfect sense for me, however I would like to understand whether and how such formula is derived (e.g. what is the meaning about 1/2 at the beggining of the formula?).

The 1/2 is just there such that the answer is bounded between 0 and 1, rather than 0 and 2.

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Posted 7 years ago

Ok you are right, I got confused by something trivial.

This is also asked elsewhere:

https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/136232/definition-of-normalized-euclidean-distance

But I don't think an answer exists anywhere. I spent a fair amount of time looking for it myself. Ideally a function like this should directly point to a commonly known function that I can read about somewhere.

I've forwarded a report to the developer of this asking that clarification be added to the documentation about this function.

POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Posted 7 years ago

I had already seen that answer some time ago but unfortunately its not enough exhaustive for me, however thanks for your report to the developer.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract