Message Boards Message Boards

[GIF] Interference (Stereographic projections of lesser circles)

Stereographic projections of lesser circles

Interference

This animation shows the stereographic images of two families of circles on the 2-sphere. Each family consists of concentric circles (or circles of latitude, if you like) centered on one of the points $(-1/\sqrt{2},1/\sqrt{2},0)$ or $(1/\sqrt{2},1/\sqrt{2},0)$. Since stereographic projection projection takes circles to circles, the images are also circles, but they're no longer concentric.

It would have been cleaner to implement these as Circles rather than Polygons, but I didn't have the patience to figure out the center and radius of each of the projected circles, so instead I just projected a bunch of points along each original circle and made the resulting points in the plane into a Polygon.

Here's the code (note that the appearance of $0.001$ is to avoid divide-by-zero errors):

Stereo[{x_, y_, z_}] := 1/(1 - z) {x, y};

DynamicModule[{p = Normalize /@ {{-1, 1, 0}, {1, 1, 0}}, b, n = 36, cols = {White, GrayLevel[.1]}},
 b = Orthogonalize[NullSpace[{#}]] & /@ p;
 Manipulate[
    Graphics[{FaceForm[None], 
      EdgeForm[Directive[Thickness[.006], Opacity[.4], cols[[1]]]], 
      Table[
        Polygon[Table[Stereo[Cos[r + s] p[[i]] + Sin[r + s] (Cos[t] b[[i, 1]] + Sin[t] b[[i, 2]])], 
          {t, 0., 2 Pi, 2 Pi/300}]], 
        {i, 1, 2}, {s, 0.001, Pi + 0.001 - Pi/n, Pi/n}]},
      PlotRange -> 2, ImageSize -> 540, Axes -> None, Background -> cols[[-1]]], 
     {r, 0., Pi/n - #, #}] &[Pi/(40 n)]
 ]
2 Replies

I simply love this one! Mesmerizing. So many phantom shapes. The center does not seem to move but it does unnoticeably almost. It is actually an illusion maker: stare at this for a few minutes then look at the code below and it will start moving in the same way.

POSTED BY: Kapio Letto

enter image description here -- you have earned Featured Contributor Badge enter image description here Your exceptional post has been selected for our editorial column Staff Picks http://wolfr.am/StaffPicks and Your Profile is now distinguished by a Featured Contributor Badge and is displayed on the Featured Contributor Board. Thank you!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract