GROUPS:

Resize arrays with WSMLink?

Posted 3 years ago
|
6 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
|

I'm trying to run my model with WSMLink, but I want to change the number of elements in my arrays before running. When I change the parameter corresponding to the length of the array, and then try to set the elements of this new array, I get an error saying that the new indices aren't parameter. Ok, I understand why, but how do I resize the arrays first?

e.g.

My array length was 4 now...

WSMSimulate["myPackage.myModel",WSMParameterValues->{arrayLength -> 5, param1[5]->2.0}]

And I get an error. Can I use WSMModelData or WSMCreateModel to change the length of the arrays before trying to set them?

6 Replies

Eric,

You can do what you want with WSMSetValues.

I created a model "junk" that has an array of masses and an array of forces. I have a parameter "n" that sets how many masses and forces are there.

To change the number of array elements and their values you do

WSMSetValues["junk", {DotName["n"] -> 5, 
  DotName["mass", "m"] -> {11, 12, 13, 23, 43}, 
  DotName["forceStep", "stepForce"] -> {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}}]

You use DotName to construct the WSM parameter names. You can view all the DotNames by doing this:

WSMModelData["junk", "ParameterNames"]

I do not believe that you can change one array value (for example mass[3].mass). I think its all or nothing -- you must send an array. You can query the values in Mathematica and send them back in with minor modifications but (as far as I know) you can't set one value. To query the values use

WSMModelData["junk", "ParameterValues"]

or you can grab just the mass values like this:

WSMModelData["junk", {"ParameterValues", "mass*.m"}]

to get

{mass[1].m->11,mass[2].m->12,mass[3].m->13,mass[4].m->23,mass[5].m->43}

Which you can parse and change and send back.

This should also solve your previous post about setting parameter arrays -- you need to enter arrays in the fields -- not values.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Neil

Thanks so much! This is exactly what I need. I'll test it when I get a chance and report back

This is all correct. One detail to note though is that DotName is a feature in the upcoming release of SystemModeler (of which Neil has a pre-release).

In the released 4.3, you would use period-separated strings instead:

WSMSetValues["junk", {"n" -> 5, 
  "mass.m" -> {11, 12, 13, 23, 43}, 
  "forceStep.stepForce" -> {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}}]

By the way, what are the advantages of DotName? I looked at the documentation and can't find anything that stands out as being easier than just using "StringJoin" and "StringSplit". In fact, I found myself doing a StringRiffle[{##},"."]&@@DotName[package,model,var] operation before working on the variables.

Also, there seems to be a slight bug in DotName. If you try using DotName with more than 3 arguments it's highlighted Red, indicating too many arguments. It seemed to work, but is that being updated in a future Mathematica release?

DotName has a few benefits compared to pure strings:

• It is guaranteed to handle all names correctly.

For a name like my.'name.with'.quotes, working with StringJoin and StringSplit on "." would be incorrect.

• It makes pattern matching possible, without resorting to string matching/regular expressions

That said, you can do ToString on a DotName to get the .-separated string.

I can't reproduce the red highlight with more than three arguments. That might be a bug in a particular prerelease. If you still see it in the released version, please report it to support and we will have another look.

Here is the "junk" model if it helps

Attachments:
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract