Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

What is the most efficient export/import format for persisting data?

Posted 4 years ago
|
8 Replies
|
8 Total Likes
|

I exported a List from a Mathematica 11.1.1.0 Notebook to .wdx format. Since this format is native to Mathematica and intended for data, I had expected it to be the most performant option, with fast export and import times and maintaining exaction resolution of numerics. Unfortunately, the load time to read the .wdx for a moderate size List was over an hour. The List holds a rectangular structure with 24,000 rows and 11,000 columns.

Is .wdx really the best / fastest format for exporting data in a Mathematica variable and then loading it back into a new session?

8 Replies

The most efficient format is .mx:

test = RandomReal[{-10, 10}, {24000, 11000}];
AbsoluteTiming[Export["big.mx", test];]

needs 15 seconds ( depending also on your hard drive speed I guess). Loading it back in by

test=Import["big.mx"];

is pretty fast, too, less than a second. I never ever use wdx. Always .mx, which is also the fastest way known to me to collect larger results from parallel subkernels back to the master kernel ...

Posted 10 days ago

Hi, may I ask a question? When I export the data after parallel evaluation by .mx, I found it's very slow! But under the same data amount I export it very fast in one-kernel calculation. Due to the calculation is very solw I have to use parallel, but get into trouble while exporting. So I wonder if you can give some advice? Thanks!

Interesting question! I was not aware about the mentioned huge difference in I/O-speed. But here I just want/must cite the documentation:

? MX files cannot be exchanged between different operating systems or versions of the Wolfram System.

? [WDX] Stores arbitrary Wolfram Language expressions in a serialized, platform-independent form.

So, at least for me the .mx format would never ever be an option if data are meant to be persistent.

I remember hearing that since a certain version it is cross compatible, I have never tested that though…

Other options are compressing it and writing it binary:

str=OpenWrite[file,BinaryFormat->True];
BinaryWrite[str,Compress[myexpression],"TerminatedString"];
Close[str];

But is is well-known that the documentation is incorrect. It just works cross-platform. The only thing which does work is to load a .mx file produced in a newer version of Mathematica into an oder one.

Maybe it is also an endian-issue? since most of us use little endian, the problem doesn't show up a lot? just a thought…

Thanks for the note @Sander Huisman. In my problem case with .wdx, the export from was a GNU/Linux x8664 (Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2660 v3 @ 2.60GHz) and the import was to a GNU/Linux x8664 (Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5300U CPU @ 2.30GHz) so both sides would have been using little-endian format. In addition, the version of Mathematica was the same on both systems.

WDX is designed to be cross-platform and backwards compatible and so on. MX supposedly isn't, though there is evidence that makes it cross-platform for newer versions of Mathematica…

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract