|
8 Replies
|
11 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

[?] Meaning of symbol ` ?

Posted 7 years ago

Hello everyone. What is the meaning of the symbol `? How can I get it with keyboard?

Thank you in advance.

POSTED BY: Gennaro Arguzzi
8 Replies

Summing up:

Contexts (tutorial/Contexts)

The basic idea is that the full name of any symbol is broken into two parts: a context and a short name. The full name is written as context`short, where the ` is the backquote or grave accent character (ASCII decimal code 96), called a "context mark" in the Wolfram Language.

• context`name or c1`c2`...`name a symbol in an explicitly specified context

• `name a symbol in the current context

• `context`name a symbol in a specific context relative to the current context

• name a symbol in the current context, or found on the context search path

Numbers

• Numbers entered in the form digits`p are taken to have precision p. ref/Precision

• Numbers entered in the form digits``a are taken to have accuracy a. ref/Accuracy

Templates (ref/TemplateSlot)

• In a string template given as a string, or in a file template, successive `` indicate TemplateSlot[i] for successive i.

• The form `name` for an alphanumeric string name not beginning with digits corresponds to TemplateSlot[1,"name"].

POSTED BY: Kuba Podkalicki

Hi @Kuba Podkalicki , your explanation is excellent. Thank you very much for your help.

The character code is

In[1]:= ToCharacterCode["`"]
Out[1]= {96}

So, you may enter it by pressing the key combination: Alt+9+6.

It depends on where you are using it. Please give an example. @Sander Huisman wrote a great list of the various symbols and their meaning.

Sander -- could you post that list as a PDF in the other thread? I think it would be tremendously useful-- I keep the link around on my system as a reminder "cheat" sheet.

Regards

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Hi. There are many examples. The last is:

StringTemplate["a is ``, b is ``"][5555, 6666]
Posted 7 years ago

Can you look at your system settings and check what keyboard layout you are using?

POSTED BY: J. M.

Hi @J.M. My keyboard layout is qwerty. On my keyboard there isn't the symbol ` . There is only ' .

Posted 7 years ago

In a normal US Keyboard layout, the backtick can usually be found above the Tab key and to the left of the 1 key:

QWERTY keyboard

The reason I asked about keyboard layouts is that sometimes the OS also imposes its own keyboard layout. To change this, there are OS-specific instructions.

For Windows, see this, for Linux see this, and for Mac see this.

POSTED BY: J. M.
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract