|
|
3 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Use remote kernel V11 + V5.2?

Can V5.2 Front End connect to a V11 Remote Kernel? Since I have just recently purchased V11 for my desktop, I thought that my laptop could run the old version that I still own, but I can't seem to get it to work, as the front end just hangs indefinitely when I try it. Since my new purchase was a home edition and didn't come with a second license, I'm trying to be frugal by using the old license also. Any thoughts?

3 Replies

Yeah, the graphics wouldn't pipe over but still just for calculation it ought to work somehow...maybe some kind of manual link w/o front end...

Posted 6 years ago

I'm sure you could get something like that to work. Depending how gung-ho you are you can also set up a ChannelObject listener on your desktop where you can pass it arbitrary code to execute then link to that in a sandboxed cloud notebook. Thus bypassing paying for cloud credits and still being able to use a nicer FE than 5.2 would give you. Obviously there are difficulties here: what happens when you kill your desktop kernel being the chief one among them. But assuming you can get a CLI kernel link via ssh (100% should be possible) you can revive that channel interface.

If you do develop a package like that (it'd be max 500 LOC to get a simple one up and running, I'd guess) please do post about it. I'm sure lots of people would want to hear about it.

POSTED BY: b3m2a1 ​ 
Posted 6 years ago

I would expect the answer to be no, as the front-end underwent a big transformation in V6 (as I understand it) which enabled things like Dynamic interactivity. My uneducated guess is that it is this type of functionality that is crushing your 5.2 FE.

POSTED BY: b3m2a1 ​ 
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract