Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

[✓] Get a numerical recognition using W|A?

Posted 9 months ago
|
2 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
|

Hello, my name is Claudio and I am a researcher here in Brazil, an enthusiast and big fan of the Wolfram / Alpha platform. While testing the numerical recognition capability of the algorithm, I found something intriguing. I would like to explain in detail and send feedback information to you. What I found: Aligning three points in a parabola such that:

Point 1 = (1,r)
Point 2 = (2,s)
Point 3 = (3,t) ,

The resulting parabola equation is:

y=((r-2*s+t)/2)*x^2+((-5*r+8*s-3*t)/2)*x+(3*r-3*s+t)

Then, integrating in the intervals 1 to 3 and then dividing by 2, this is the integral mean of this parabola in that interval. I will call M this mean:

M = (r+4*s+t)/6

Well, if we use for example:

r = (sqrt(5)+1)/2 ,
s = E ,
t = Pi ,

The average M will be:

M = (1+sqrt(5)+8*e+2*pi)/12 ,
M = 2.60545899269597817135139668384...

Then the intriguing fact begins. When I input this number for Wolfram / Alpha recognition, it generates possible, even more complex, forms using E, Pi, log variables. Wolfram / Alpha generates:

(7+10*sqrt(3)+4*e+8*pi+2*pi^2-3*log(3)+log(8))/(2*sqrt(2)+5*e-10*pi+4*pi^2+log(324))

And it was not able to recognize a simpler form, only with variables with E and Pi, as the original number: (1+sqrt(5)+8e+2pi)/12 . I hope I've been able to explain what I found. I believe that the algorithm skips a simpler step in recognition to try to find a more complex one without having the need, causing a not so precise recognition. I thought you'd like to know that. Please, I would appreciate myself some feedback info. Thanks.

2 Replies

I will hazard a guess that W|A does not select a "good" basis in this case and so does not come up with good results. If you suspect in advance that your number is a rational linear combination of certain others, then the Wolfram Language has a function for this called FindIntegerNullVector. It can be used as below.

ee = 2.60545899269597817135139668384;
basis = {Pi, E, GoldenRatio};
relation = FindIntegerNullVector[Join[basis, {ee}]]
guess = -Most[relation].basis/Last[relation]
guess - ee

(* Out[225]= {1, 4, 1, -6}

Out[226]= 1/6 (4 E + GoldenRatio + \[Pi])

Out[227]= 0.*10^-29 *)
Posted 8 months ago

Thanks Daniel, this tool tip was very valuable!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract