GROUPS:

Plotting points from a 3d table

Posted 8 years ago
|
6 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
|
Hi, I have a set of data in the table format {{1,2,3,4},{10,2,5,6,5},{20,1,3,4,7},{30,3,1,6,9}} where the first line is the x axis, but the y column is the first number of the following lines TableForm[{{1, 2, 3, 4}, {10, 2, 5, 6, 5}, {20, 1, 3, 4, 7}, {30, 3, 1, 6, 9}}] So x={1,2,3,4}, y={10,20,30} and f(x,y) are the remaining data. How can I plot these data in a 3D like form? Thanks. Simone
6 Replies
To begin, be careful when using TableForm. TableForm should be used for viewing data in an easy to read format, but shouldn't be used as a wrapper when storing data.

Part of the issue with the data is that it should form a complete square or rectangle of numbers. Otherwise, it is hard to interpret what the data means. In the definition below, I've added 0 to the first element of the data:
myData = {{0, 1, 2, 3, 4}, {10, 2, 5, 6, 5}, {20, 1, 3, 4, 7}, {30, 3, 1, 6, 9}};
You can vizualize what this table of numbers looks like with TableForm or with ArrayPlot.
TableForm[myData]
ArrayPlot[myData]

Now, if you would like to make this rectangular matrix of numbers into a 3D surface, you can use the ListPlot3D function:
ListPlot3D[myData]

Posted 8 years ago
Thanks, but this is not the answer I I wanted, probably as I did not explain it well. I am aware of the use of TableForm, and I don't want to add an extra in the first row. In your second graph you see that the data coordinates are 1 to 5 for x and 1 to 5 for y. For me I wanted x={1,2,3,4} and y={10,20,30}.
So the points in the 3D graph should be like in the following graph done with Origin Pro

Thanks
Simone
Please see: http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/ListPointPlot3D.html

So we have to provide a list of {x,y,z} values. There are many ways of doing this. People familiar with imperative programming will would likely use a double for loop or Do loop to make this list of values. Here is how you would use Table. 
xvals = {1, 2, 3, 4}; yvals = {10, 20, 30};
data = Transpose@{{2, 5, 6, 5}, {1, 3, 4, 7}, {3, 1, 6, 9}}

formattedData = Flatten[#, 1] &@ Table[{xvals[[x]], yvals[[y]], data[[x, y]]}, {x, 1, 4}, {y, 1, 3}]
This formatted data can be given to ListPointPlot3D
ListPointPlot3D[formattedData, Filling -> Bottom, PlotStyle -> Directive[PointSize[Large], Red]]
Posted 2 months ago

Hi Simone,

I recognize this was 8 whole years ago, but did you ever get a sufficient answer? I too am now struggling to plot output from a function of two variables. Thank you in advance!

Posted 2 months ago

Hi Clara,

Do you mean something like this?

ClearAll@f
f[x_, y_] := Sin[x]*Cos[y]
Plot3D[f[x, y], {x, 0, 2 Pi}, {y, 0, 2 Pi}]

enter image description here

Posted 2 months ago

Yes! Thank you for your speedy reply Rohit.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract